1 Recipe: Ultimate All Butter Pie Crust Recipe
Brown Butter Apple Filling
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) of butter
- 3 pounds Granny Smith apples (6 to 7), peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Make the brown butter: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, swirling pan occasionally, until butter is golden brown and fragrant, about 8 minutes; let cool.
- Toss together apples and lemon juice in a large bowl. Combine flour, salt, spices, granulated and brown sugars, and vanilla-bean seeds in another bowl, breaking up clumps and combining with a fork or fingers. Add browned butter to apples. Stir in flour mixture.
- Roll out 1 disk of dough to just under 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface and fit into a 9-inch glass pie plate. Roll out remaining disk of dough to a 13-inch round.
- Rolled-out dough can be refrigerated up to 8 hours. (Be sure to let the 13-inch round sit at room temperature until pliable before topping pie, or it will break.) Place apples in pie shell, brush edges with water, and cover pie with top crust.
- Trim excess, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Fold top edge over bottom crust to seal, and crimp as desired. Cut steam vents in top crust. Freeze entire pie for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 415 degrees Fahrenheit with rack in lowest position. Brush pie with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar (if desired). Place a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet on floor of oven to catch any drips.
- Bake pie on lowest rack for 15 minutes at 415 F. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake until well browned, for an additional 45 minutes.
- After total bake time of one hour: Tent pie with foil and continue to bake until bubbling through vents, about 20 minutes more. Let cool completely on a wire rack, at least 4-6 hours. Pie can be made 1 day ahead and stored at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 min
- Category: Sweet/ Dessert
- Method: American
- Cuisine: American