For the Crust:
- 1 recipe for Italian Pasta Frolla Dough Recipe (click on link and find printable recipe at bottom of post)
- For this recipe I only used the larger dough disc and saved the scraps to make small cookies.
For the Filling:
- 2 cups ricotta whole milk, well-drained (about 15 oz)
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- Optional: freshly whipped cream for topping
- Make the pasta frolla dough and set in fridge while preparing the filling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place oven rack to bottom third.
Filling and Assembly
- Make filling: If your ricotta has extra water strain it (see notes)
- Start by whipping the ricotta in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or a large mixing bowl using a hand held electric mixer. Whip as you would whipped cream- very smooth consistency.
- Then, add the sugar and mix again. Add the eggs one by one to the ricotta mixture- scraping down the sides of the bowl when needed.
- Add the almond and vanilla extract and lemon zest, mix to incorporate.
- Set aside while you roll out your dough.
Roll out the dough to fit your pie plate (9-inch). The thickness should be about 1/8 of an inch. Carefully fold over and fit into your pie pan.
Pour in the filling.
Optional step: Decorate with strips of dough and brush tops of dough strips with egg wash.
Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the center filling is set. Place foil on the edge of crust to prevent over-browning (if needed).
Cool completely, about 2 hours, on a wire rack and refrigerate until serving. If desired, top with freshly whipped cream. Enjoy!
How to strain ricotta: Set a fine-mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth or a couple of paper towels over a bowl. Add the ricotta and allow it to strain out excess liquid for 5 to 10 minutes as you continue with the prep.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Sweet
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: ricotta pie, pie, Italian dessert, Easter dessert, ricotta cheese, sweet pie, lemon zest