- 1 28- ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth, or water
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped shallot
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 5 leaves fresh basil
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup heavy cream
- parmigiano or parmesan cheese for serving
- Place the tomatoes (with their juices), broth, shallot, garlic, thyme, and tomato paste in a blender (use a high-speed blender, such as a Vitamix, if you have one). Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the machine on and gradually and increase the speed reaching high speed. Blend until completely smooth (about one to two minutes). If you’re using a Vitamix, continue blending until the soup is hot and heavy steam escapes from the lid plug, about 6 minutes (or, turn on the soup setting). If you’re using a regular blender, transfer the soup to a pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- After the soup is hot add heavy cream (to taste) to the soup. If using a high-speed blender, blend until warmed through, about 5 seconds. If using the stovetop, bring the soup back to a simmer, stirring to incorporate the cream.
- Serve hot with freshly grated parmigiano cheese and crusty bread. Enjoy!
Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tomato soup, vitamix, easy soup, garlic, shallots, whole peeled tomatoes, olive oil, basil