Braised chicken is succulent and tender with a sweet and savory wine and plum sauce. Take a 15 minutes to prep then relax while the dish finishes cooking without extra fuss. A meal to serve over and over again! Always Made with Amore!
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 3 lbs) seasoned with plenty of sea salt on all sides
- 4 Tbs of olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 12 Italian plums pitted and cut in half (if using regular plums use 6 as they are larger)
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 3 Tbs homemade or store bought plum jam (if this is too hard to find grape jelly will do)
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs crushed garlic
- 2 Tbs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt to taste
- In a medium mixing bowl add the wine, chicken broth, plum jam, and tomato paste. Stir until combined and set aside.
- Heat a large oven safe pot or sauté pan to medium-high heat, warm the oil. Cook the chicken (already salted) until golden brown on all sides, turning the chicken often so that it browns evenly, about 5 minutes per side. Set the drumsticks aside on a plate.
- In the same pot add the garlic, shallot, onion, rosemary, and red pepper flakes (if using). Reduce the heat slightly, and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 to 3 minutes. Add the plums and cook an additions 3 minutes. Pour in the liquid mixture from Step 1 over the top of the plums.
- Place the drumstick back in the pot. Do not submerge the chicken completely. Cover with lid, leaving a slight vent, and simmer on low-medium heat for 40-45 minutes. Sit back and enjoy the delicious aroma of your meal simmering in the pot.
- Optional: Right before serving set the oven to broil. Place the pot of chicken and plums in the oven for 5 minutes (watch carefully as broilers are different) to get the chicken skin extra crisp on top!
Serve with a green salad and warm bread. If desired serve with rice for a heartier meal.
Keywords: Chicken, chicken, dinner, braised chicken, easy dinner, plums and chicken,