Easy, Moist, Fresh, and Delicious LEMON YOGURT LOAF
A soft, light, and sweet cake made with yogurt and lemon zest. It whips up in no time and makes for the perfect anytime treat. It’s not overly sweet, in true Italian fashion, and full of delicious lemon flavor. It is wonderful with or without the blueberries. This cake is a staple in our home. Since it is so easy I make it on weeknights and on a lazy weekend afternoon. It is a great cake to deliver to a friend or bring to a small gathering.
If you have an extra hour 15 minutes to whip up this cake I HIGHLY recommend doing so ASAP!
Lemon Cake Story
Growing up my mamma would buy the round lemon cake covered with heavy sugar glaze from our local grocery store- anyone know the one I’m talking about ;)? She bought one every week and it was always on our counter in my great grandmother’s beautiful cake plate covered with a glass cloche- which still sits on her kitchen counter today. My friends always knew it would be there and it was the perfect after school treat. During that time my mom worked long days and didn’t have time to bake as well as cook dinner for us every evening.
The store bought cake was more than appreciated! When my mom did have time, she made this light, airy, pure lemony sweet loaf. It tastes 100% more fresh and made with real lemon, unlike the store bought version. I could eat a slice of this cake with a cup of afternoon tea Every. Single. Day!
Made with Amore,
If you make this recipe please write a comment and leave a STAR RATING to tell me your thoughts! I want to connect with all of you through your experience with my recipes.
MAKE. SHARE. LOVE
Add some Blueberries!
Recently, my mamma and I started making the lemon cake with added blueberries. They add a little pop in your mouth and create just the right juicy fruity flavor without overpowering the cake itself. Try it both ways and decide for yourself which you like best!
We also like to just pour heavy cream on top for a little creamy goodness. You could also add freshly whipped cream if you fancy that better. I’ve served this for breakfast, as a snack, and even dessert. This is the only Lemon Loaf Cake recipe you will ever need. Print it. Pin it. Save it and remake it. Bring to a friend. Enjoy it. Make it with Love. That’s it!
More Easy Cake Recipes:Print
Lovely balance of sweet and tangy makes this Lemon Loaf the only recipe you will EVER want for a Lemon Cake. Enjoy with or without the blueberries!
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup whole-milk French (or Greek) yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional- 1 1/2 C blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat loaf pan (9x5x3 inches, 8 cup) with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour; tap out excess.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and kosher salt in a medium bowl.
- Using your fingers, rub sugar with lemon zest in a large bowl until sugar is moist then add eggs. With a mixer, mix until very foamy and white, a few minutes.
- Add yogurt and vanilla extract whisk to blend
- Fold in dry ingredients just to blend
- Add oil in last and mix until smooth and combined.
- If adding blueberries toss and fold in now
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan; smooth top. Bake until top of cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 50–55 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto rack; let cool completely.
DO AHEAD: Can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
Serve with extra berries and fresh whipped cream or straight cream over the top 1.