1 recipe of our: Ultimate All Butter Pie Crust Recipe(see step by step fool proof instructions)
Apricot puree/ filling (you will have puree leftover and you can refrigerate or freeze):
1 lb fresh ripe apricots, pitted and cut into small pieces
1 cup sugar (if you desire more sweetness 1 1/2 cups total sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
6 fresh ripe, apricots pitted and split in half for top of galette
2 tablespoons butter for dotting the top
1 egg to egg wash the crust
- Make the apricot puree- place the apricots, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in a large pot.
- Let cook for about 40-60 minutes (the cooking time varies depending on the amount of water in the natural fruit), stirring occasionally, until cooked to a jam like consistency- all the water should be evaporated. The mixture should be thick, but not sticky.
- Let the apricot puree cool for about 30 minutes
- Make the pie crust as directed
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Unwrap pie dough from the fridge, roll out on floured surface to make a large circle (about 16-18 inches in diameter)
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper that is on a baking sheet.
- Pour 1 1/2-2 cups apricot puree into the center of the pie dough and gently spread out leaving a 2-3 inch border on the edges. Start folding the edges up and over the edge of the filling. Do this around entire galette.
- Place the fresh apricots face down to cover the inside of the galette, brush the top of the fresh apricots with more of the puree
- Dot the top of the galette with the pea-sized butter pieces. When completed, set aside. Crack an egg and beat it with a fork. Brush the edges of the pie crust with the egg wash (this gives it the golden brown color).
- Place in the oven on the center rack and bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes then turn down the temp to 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Remove when the crust is golden brown and the center is bubbly.
- When done, remove from the oven and let it set for at least 15-20 minutes, allowing the sweet fruit juices to thicken slightly.
Enjoy warm with creamy vanilla ice cream!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: French