- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs, brought to room temperature
- 1/2 cup raspberry or strawberry jam (for filling cookies)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cookie trays, or baking sheets with parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar & salt until light and fluffy using a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Add the eggs on low speed, one at a time, until combined. Add vanilla and almond extracts, then mix on medium speed until well combined, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the flour to the mixture and mix until a dough forms. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix until a semi-soft, sticky dough is formed. Transfer the dough to a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Grease hands with a bit of oil. Divide the dough into 24 even pieces, then roll each into a ball. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet, staggering the rows of cookies and leaving about 1½ inches between each one. Grease your hands again and gently press your thumb or index finger into the dough diagonally toward the left side, then rotate your finger to press again toward the right side, making a heart shape. Fill the indents with your favorite jam.
- Transfer the trays to the oven and bake until lightly golden at the edges, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, cool them on a cooling rack, and dust them with powdered sugar (if desired). Enjoy with love!
Use room ingredients
Using room temperature ingredients (especially butter and eggs) for the butter cookies ensures a soft and uniform cookie dough. They will also bake more evenly this way.
Chill cookie dough before baking
Make sure to chill the butter cookie dough before baking to make sure the cookies hold their shape and don't spread while baking.
Do not over-bake
You’ll need to keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t get too brown. I baked them for about 10-11 minutes to achieve a soft, light golden brown on edge. That way, they stay nice and soft. This is key to achieving the beautiful thumbprint cookie look ad taste.
- These heart jam cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, or in the fridge for a week.
- Category: Sweet
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: cookies, heart shaped cookies, thumbprint cookies, butter cookies, heart jam cookies