- 1 recipe for pistachio cream (click for link)
- 3 cups whole milk (you can also use heavy cream or half and half if desired)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios for topping
- Make the pistachio cream according to the recipe. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the milk and sugar over medium heat until it just starts to bubble around the edge (no need to bring it to a boil). Whisk a few minutes until the sugar dissolves.
- Make the pistachio gelato: Whisk the pistachio cream base into the cream mixture. Mix until combined and let cool (covered) in the fridge for at least 3 hours and up to overnight.
- Pour into the bowl of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Stop the machine when the gelato is icy but still soft.
- Transfer the gelato to an airtight container and freeze until firm, about two hours. The gelato will keep, frozen, for up to two weeks. Always take the gelato out to room temperature 10 to 15 minutes before serving to soften it and make it easier to scoop.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 minutes + freezing time
- Category: Sweet
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pistachio gelato, Italian gelato recipe, pistachio cream, dessert recipe