- 2 lb bell peppers, any color or a mix (cut into 3-inch strips)
- 5 cups vinegar
- 5 cups water
- 8 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
- Sterilize your canning jars and have them ready to use. Cut peppers and set aside until ready to use.
- Place half of the vinegar in a large pot, add cold water, garlic, and bay leaves. Set on medium-high heat and bring to a boil then add the salt.
- Add sliced peppers and stir for 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat and cover the pot.
- Allow to sit for about 10-12 minutes. The peppers will soften a little bit with still a nice crunch too.
- Place a clean kitchen towel on a working surface. Remove the peppers from the water and place them on a single layer on the towel.
- Pat peppers dry as much as possible with clean paper towels.
- Fill jars with the peppers, adding some peppercorns, bay leaves, and garlic.
- Fill the jars with the remaining vinegar and press the peppers with a clean spoon so are covered by the vinegar.
- Use a toothpick to burst the bubbles in the liquid and prevent the peppers from spoiling. Close the lids and place the jars in a dry, cool and dark place for 30 days before consuming. You can eat them 2 weeks after making, but the longer they sit the better they will taste.
Storage: Typically best consumed after 2 months. After pickled peppers are opened and stored in the refrigerator it is important to keep them full submerged in the liquid and sealed tightly. Always use a clean utensil to get the peppers out of the jar to avoid contamination.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: peppers, bell peppers, pickled peppers, vinegar peppers