- 1 lb. fresh green beans, cleaned, trimmed, and dried.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
Optional Toppings after roasting
- lemon wedges
- freshly grated parmigiano cheese
- roasted and sliced almonds
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil or spray with cooking oil. Make sure to dry your green beans well or the added water will cause them to steam in the oven.
In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, shallot, and garlic.
Add the green beans to a large bowl and toss them with the olive oil mixture. I use my hands to make sure the beans are well coated.
Spread the coated green beans in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast them until tender and slightly browned on the edges, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking pan. Air needs room to circulate, or the green beans will steam instead of roast.
- Spicy - add red pepper flakes after roasting to imbue heat into the dish.
- Cheesy - add a little Parmigiano Reggiano (or parmesan cheese) during the last minute of cooking for a cheesy topping.
- Beans - This recipe works perfectly for edamame or sugar snap peas.
- Veggie Mix-ins: Add small button mushrooms or halved cherry tomatoes to the baking pan before roasting. After roasting, toss with crumbled, cooked bacon, or a handful of roasted slivered almonds.
- Herbs - at the end of cooking add chopped fresh parsley to finish off the roasted green beans, or other herbs such as dill, green onions, or basil.
- Fresh Lemon - garnish the roasted green beans with garlic and lemon with extra lemon wedges and squeeze a little lemon juice over the green beans for added flavor.
- Orange Twist - use the same amount of orange juice and zest instead of the lemon for another variation.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: green beans, side dish, garlic, lemon, vegetarian