Easy Italian Apple Cake (torta a le mele), a simple moist dessert, breakfast, or served as an afternoon tea cake. Made with creamy yogurt, butter, and fresh apples with a little cinnamon for spice. This is a recipe the entire family will love. Every Italian Nonna has a recipe for this recipe and here is my nonna’s for you!
- 3 large peeled (if desired) apples, cut into pieces
- 2 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons (14 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon (pinch) kosher salt
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 cup (113 g) butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) vanilla extract
- Confectioner sugar for dusting
- Line a 9.5 inch round baking pan with parchment paper, or spray with cooking spray. Preheat oven at 350 degrees F
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, whip the sugar and eggs until you obtain a creamy and fluffy texture. About 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the yogurt, butter, and vanilla extract. Use a fork or spatula to combine until smooth (not the electric mixer).
- In a separated bowl mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Stir gently until well combined. Add the apples and mix gently. Place the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean*. If the cake starts to brown too much on top tent with the top with foil during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Cool and dust cake with confectioner sugar. If desired, serve with freshly whipped cream. Enjoy!
*The moisture of the apples may vary the cooking time a bit. You may need to add 10 minutes depending on how juicy the apples are.
Keywords: apple, cake, easy cake, one bowl cake, yogurt, butter, cinnamon, Italian cake, Italian recipe, apple cake, dessert