- 1 large bundle of asparagus (I prefer the thicker variety)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano cheese (parmesan cheese)
- Lemon wedges for serving
- 3 Fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- Wash and dry the asparagus. Trim the bottom 1 to 1 1/2 inches to remove the tough end or woody stem from the bottom of the asparagus.
- Make Dressing: In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, basil, salt and pepper, and parmigiano cheese. Whisk until combined. Cover and set aside.
- Steam Asparagus (without steamer basket): Add just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan- large skillet (about 3/4 cup for a 12-inch skillet). Add the asparagus, cover with lid, and steam over medium-high heat until tender and bright green, 3 to 5 minutes. Poke the thickest part with a fork to test for doneness.
- Steam Asparagus (with steamer basket): Add water to a pot to reach just under the steaming basket. Add the steamer basket and bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, add the asparagus—steam with the lid on for 2 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Poke the thickest part with a fork to test for doneness.
- Season: Place the asparagus on a serving platter using a slotted spoon or kitchen tongs, draining away any water. While warm, toss gently with the prepared dressing. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy.
Do not overcook the asparagus. Since the cooking time is short, keep an eye on them and only cook until bright green and fork tender.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: asparagus, steamed asparagus, side dish, easy side dish, best steamed asparagus