- 2 1/2 cups (250 g) almond flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup (110 g) powdered sugar (more for topping)
- 3 egg whites (large eggs)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 36 almonds without skin (optional)
- Plate with 1/2 cup of sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Position rack in the center. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk almond flour and sugar together. Add grated lemon zest and salt and whisk a few more times. No lumps or clumps. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites to a soft peak stage. Whisk in the almond extract.
- Gently incorporate the egg whites to the dry ingredients. Once the dough is completely moist, you are done.
- You can shape them two ways: 1. Use a tablespoon to get a portion of the dough to roll into a ball. With slightly damp hands, press your palms into the plate of sugar. Roll each ball of dough with your sugar coated palms and then again in the sugar found on the plate. Place on lined baking sheet. 2- place batter into a pastry bag with a large round tip and make small rounds on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with sugar.
- Gently place the whole almond in the center of the cookie (you do not have to add the whole almond you can bake without).
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden brown in color.
- Cool before storing at room temperature in airtight containers. Will keep for 1 week.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Sweet
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: cookies, soft cookies, Italian cookies, amaretti, almond cookies