All the amazing flavors you crave in authentic Zuppa Toscana: crushed red peppers, diced white onion, bacon, garlic, broth, heavy cream, potatoes and kale.I love this soup in the fall and winter. It is indulgent and still packed with bright green nutritious kale. It warms your heart and soul. It is deliciously hearty and satisfying. We serve it hot and every mouthful contains potatoes and kale with a hint of bacon that melts in your mouth. It is a recipe that the family loves. If you are making it for non spicy lovers you can adjust the amount of red pepper flakes.
- 8 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 lb small Yukon gold potatoes, cut in quarters
- 1 carton (32 fl, 946 mL) chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 bunch of Italian kale (other variety will do), trimmed and stem removed removed*
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and fennel seed in a Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat until bacon is crisp and onions slightly browned. If there is too much bacon fat remove excess oil with a spoon- some drippings okay). Add potatoes and stir to combine.
- Pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven with the bacon, onion, and potatoes; bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to low/medium and stir in the kale (and beans if using). Cook an additional 8-10 minutes, until tender. Add heavy cream; heat through. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
* Fold the leaves of the kale together and hold them with your non-cutting hand. Use a large chef's knife to cut off the tough stem that runs through the entire kale leaf. Roll up the kale leaves. Cut the kale into slices, using a circular motion with the knife.
Keywords: Zuppa Toscana, Italian recipe, soup, Italian soup, kale, bacon, potato, garlic, onion, Tuscan Soup