- 4 medium egg yolks, discard whites
- 80 g (2/3 Cup) of granulated sugar
- 45 g (1/3 Cup+ 1 tablespoon) of cornstarch
- 3.5 oz (100 gr) blanched pistachios
- 1/2 liter (2 Cups) of whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the Pistachios
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil and add the shelled pistachios. Let them boil for 4 minutes then drain them and place them on a clean kitchen towel.
- Fold the towel over and rub the pistachios in the towel to loosen the skins. Separate the pistachios from the skins and discard the skins.
- Add the pistachios to a food processor (or high power blender) with only ¼ cup (60ml) of the milk. Keep pulsing on high on and off for 5 minutes until the pistachios turn into a smooth paste. Stop the food processor 3-4 times to scrape down the sides.
- Leave pistachio mixture in the blender. Cover and set aside. Start making the cream.
For the Cream
- In a medium mixing bowl whip the egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch with an electric mixer until light and foamy, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the egg and cornstarch mixture to the blender with the pistachio cream. Mix until combined and smooth- this is your pistachio mixture. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan heat the milk. Turn heat to medium and warm milk until a soft boil (little bubbles on the sides and steam starts to form).
- When the milk is hot, remove from heat. Using a whisk- start adding the pistachio mixture, a little at a time into the milk. It’s very important to stir constantly until you achieve a unified mixture.
- Put the saucepan back on low heat and continue whisking. Simmer for about 3-4 minutes until the cream begins to thicken. It’s very important that the cream NEVER BOILS. In this way you have a smooth cream without lumps and without chunks of cooked egg.
- If you have a cooking thermometer you can check that the temperature never exceeds 85°C (185 F). Otherwise, as soon as you see that bubbles begin to form in the cream, lower the heat. You can even remove it from the heat for a few seconds and put it back.
- Keep cooking on low medium heat until cream is thickened. When the cream is well thickened (it will stick to the back of a spoon and not drip off), remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Immediately pour it into a cold glass container. Important to remove the pistachio cream immediately from hot saucepan to prevent it from cooking longer.
- While cooling, cover the cream with plastic wrap. Keep it in contact with the cream. This step is to avoid forming a skin on the cream surface. Refrigerate at least 3 hours for it to set.
The pistachio pastry cream will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks in an air tight container. Use the pistachio cream as a pastry, crostata, cake, or no bake pie filling.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Sweet
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pastry cream, pistachio, Italian pastry cream, dessert, pistachio paste, pistachio cream