- 1 large loaf ciabatta bread or rustic bread, cut into 1-inch cubes to 1 1/2-inches (about 6 cups bread cubes)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces (mix of heirloom, cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and plum tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Place all of the tomato salad ingredients in a bowl and toss. Let sit for 1 hour so all the juices come out of the tomatoes and create a sauce with the olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 350°F adjust rack to center position. In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes, until crisp and firm but not browned. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the toasted bread with the tomato mixture. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rest 30 minutes before serving, tossing occasionally until the bread absorbs the dressing. Serve at room temperature or cold.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: chill time 30-60 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: salad, bread salad, panzanella salad, tomatoes, bread