- 6 slices of bread french baguette, rustic Italian loaf, sourdough, or ciabatta,
- 4-6 tomatoes Roma or heirloom, vine ripe, in-season; or cherry tomatoes, cut into slices or small pieces
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into slices or small pieces
- 4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, more for garnish
- 3 garlic cloves, whole
- 8 basil leaves, cut into ribbons, more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze
- Using a sharp knife or mandoline, carefully and evenly slice the tomatoes and mozzarella. You can cut them in slices or cut them in small pieces based on how you like them.
- In a large shallow bowl add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and basil. Stir to combine. Add the tomatoes and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes to 60 minutes so the flavors infuse in the tomatoes.
- Toast the bread. If your bread isn’t pre-sliced, slice it around ¼-½ inch thick. Turn the oven to 450ºF. Place the bread slices on a large baking sheet. Brush the bread slices with a little olive oil until the edges start to darken (about 5 minutes).
- Rub the fresh garlic over the toasted bread. Adjust amount based on personal preference. Rubbing about a half a clove on one side. Set bread aside.
- Assemble the tomato bruschetta by alternating the marinated tomatoes and fresh mozzarella on top of the toasted bread in a single layer. Top with a drizzle of olive oil and extra basil. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min + 30 minutes marinating time
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, basil, toasted bread, bruschetta, mozzarella