- 2 1/4 cups (500 ml) of warm water (might need a little more)
- 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/4 cup of steel cut oats
- 1/4 cup ground golden flax meal
- 4 cups (500grams) all purpose flour (such as King Arthur brand)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- In a large mixing bowl dissolve the yeast into the warm water
- Add the steel cut oats and the flax meal and mix well (I use a fork to mix)
- Add flour and salt to the mix and incorporate well.
- Dough will be sticky and slightly wet. You may need to add a little more water if it seems dry.
- Cover the bowl with saran-wrap and let it rise on kitchen counter for at least 8 hours- up to over night. The dough will double in size. For best results make sure it is at least 75 degrees F.
- After first rise transfer the sticky dough in a floured surface and shape it into one large boule or into two baguette shaped logs. Transfer onto floured parchment paper. Sprinkle with additional flour on top. Cover with a kitchen towel. **If using mix-ins see NOTES.
- Let rise again for 50-60 min (on the parchment paper covered with towel)
- With sharp knife score the dough with 2 longitudinal cuts for each baguette OR 2 scores on top of the large round boule
- Pre-heat oven to 450 F. Meanwhile, place a 6-quart Dutch oven (or heavy cooking pot with oven-safe lid) in the oven as it preheats.
- When oven is preheated to 450 F take out the dutch oven and place the baguettes or the large boule inside (with parchment paper). Place back in oven to bake for 33 min with lid ON. After 33 min check if the top of bread is golden brown. If you like darker brown take the lid off and cook an additional 6-10 min.
- Put the bread on a cooling rack and let cool completely. Or, take a slice when still warm and enjoy 🙂
* Mix-Ins: If using mix ins 1) divide the dough in half 2) roll each dough on a floured surface into a rectangle. Sprinkle desired toppings evenly on the dough 3) fold the dough over on itself about four times (as pictured) 4) this will create two baguettes 4) continue to Step 7 in instructions
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian/ French
Keywords: homemade bread, no-knead bread, bread, best bread, Italian antipasto, delicious bread