- 500 grams Fregola Sarda Pasta or this Fregola Sarda Pasta
- 5 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups pecorino cheese or parmigiano cheese, freshly grated
- 10 slices provolone cheese mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6 basil leaves, torn into pieces
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Prepare a large oven-safe baking dish (13x9) with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large oven-safe skillet or casserole dish. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook for a few minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Add the diced zucchini and garlic to the skillet and cook for another 4-5 minutes until they soften slightly. Stir in basil leaves and turn off the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the Fregola Sarda pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to the package instructions until it reaches the "al dente" stage. This should take around 8-10 minutes. Drain the pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Add the pasta water and cooked fregola pasta to the pan with zucchini and onion. Stir to combine.
- Layer half of the fregola and zucchini in the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the pecorino and layer half of the sliced cheese on top of the first layer. Repeat with remaining fregola and reaming cheeses.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Serve hot! Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: fregola, vegetarian, main meal, pasta