- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- zest of 1 orange (optional)
- powdered sugar for rolling cookies
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs on medium-high speed until nice and frothy (about 3-4 minutes). Slowly add sugar. Continue to whisk until well combined and slightly thickened. The mixture will be pale yellow and light.
- Add the milk, butter, melted chocolate, vanilla extract, and zest (if using). Mix until well combined. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer.
- Sift in the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and spices) over the mixture of wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until well combined. At this point, the dough will be soft.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and scoop the dough with medium-sized cookie scoop. Roll the dough into a ball with floured hands.
- Roll each dough ball into a smooth ball and then roll in a small bowl of powdered sugar (icing sugar).
Place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Continue to roll until all of the dough is used.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until firm to the touch. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Enjoy slightly warm, or room temperature.
Use room ingredients
Using room temperature ingredients (especially butter and eggs) for the Italian chocolate spice cookies ensures a soft and uniform cookie dough. They will also bake more evenly this way.
Chill cookie dough before baking
Make sure to chill the cookie dough before baking to make sure the cookies hold their shape.
Do not over-bake
You’ll need to keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t get too dark. This is sometimes tricky for chocolate cookies since they are already dark in color.
I baked them for about 10 minutes.
- The dough batter can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours before baking. These cookies will freeze for about 3 months in a freezer bag or airtight container. You can also store the chocolate spice cookies in a sealed container on the countertop for 1-3 days.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sweet
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: cookies, soft cookies, Italian cookies, chocolate cookies, chocolate spice cookies