- 1 1/2 cups (250 gr) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100 gr) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 5 tablespoons (100 gr) salted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix with a whisk until incorporated. Add the egg and butter and mix until incorporated (the dough will be fairly "rough" at this point).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gather it into a ball. Form the dough into two disks, one slightly larger than the other.
- Wrap each disk tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until well chilled (overnight is fine). Remove the dough from the refrigerator 30 minutes before rolling it out.
- Use the dough to make a jam or pastry cream crostata (Recipe Below). You can also make the dough into cookies by rolling out the dough and using a cookie cutter to make shapes. Cooking time about 10 minutes at 350 F.
- Be sure to chill the dough thoroughly — for at least 1 hour — after making it (overnight is fine).
- Remove from the refrigerator about 20 minutes before rolling out so that the butter softens and the dough becomes pliable.
- Do not overwork the dough and use a lightly floured surface. Too much flour and handling will result in a tough dough.
- Prep Time: 15 min (plus chilling time)
- Cook Time: N/A
- Category: Sweet/ Dessert
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: crostata, dessert, Italian dessert, sweet dough, jam, tart, sweet, dessert recipe, pasta frolla