- 1 1/2 cups (250 grams) dried brown lentils
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 5 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Good Quality Eggs
Delicious Crusty Bread (see notes for my No Knead Bread Recipe)
- Place the onion, carrot, and celery in a large saucepan or soup pot with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sauté gently on low heat until the vegetables are very soft and the onion is somewhat translucent, but not colored. Add the bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, tomato paste, and the dry lentils and 5 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to a gentle simmer and cook until the lentils are tender but retain their shape (this can take as little as 20 minutes to upwards of 35 minutes, depending on the lentils. I know that seems like a big time difference but all dried beans cook a little differently). Keep checking them and add more water if necessary. Add salt to taste only once the lentils are tender, otherwise they will remain tough. Stir through chopped parsley and serve as you like (see notes for ideas).
- Make a fried eggs according to your desired taste- season with salt . After making the lentils and fried egg spoon the lentils over a thick slice of bread add your egg on top and MANGIA! MANGIA!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian