- 400 grams Sardinian Malloreddus or Gnocchetti Sardi
- 1 lb Fresh Italian sausage- ground pork sausage meat (ideally with fennel seeds)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb can high quality crushed tomato sauce or puree
- 5 fresh basil leaves, torn by hand
- a pinch of ground saffron (optional)
- 1 cup freshly grated pecorino sardo cheese or parmigiano cheese, for serving
- Kosher salt for pasta water
- If using saffron- Add the saffron to a small bowl with 1 tablespoon of water. Let sit until ready to use.
- In a large saucepan or sauté pan, on medium heat, add onion, and cook in olive oil for 1-2 minutes until translucent, then add the sausage meat and bay leaf. Cook for 10 minutes breaking up the sausage and letting it brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato puree and saffron (if using) to the sausage sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the fresh basil and stir to combine.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the malloreddus until al dente according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain the malloreddus, put them in the pan with the sauce, and mix until combined.
- Add grated pecorino romano cheese to the pasta and stir until it is well incorporated. Serve hot. Add additional grated cheese if desired. Buon appetito!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: malloreddus alla campidanese, Sardinian recipe, pasta dishes, Sardinian sausage