- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced (or diced)
- 1 (16 oz/ 1 lb.) bag frozen petite peas
- 2 tablespoons Italian basil, torn by hand
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 oz (250 grams) Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 lb (454grams) Barilla Penne Pasta
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- freshly grated parmigiano cheese
- Bring 6 quarts water to a boil and add 3 Tbs kosher salt
- Heat a large sauté pan to on medium heat. Add olive oil. Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent and slightly brown in color.
- Add the frozen peas and cook 10 minutes until cooked, but no mushy. Add the mascarpone and and butter then turn heat to low. Stir for 2 minutes until sauce is creamy. Turn off heat and stir in basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pasta to boiling water. Cook until al dente directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water. Drain pasta and add to pan with peas and mascarpone. Stir well to coat pasta.
- Add pasta water and stir to combine. Cover and let sit 2-3 minutes before serving so sauce can thicken. Serve HOT and add extra parmigiano.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta, penne pasta, petite peas, mascarpone cheese, onions and peas, easy dinner, 20 minute meal, Italian recipe