2 medium yellow onions, sliced into half moons
3 medium zucchini, cut into 1 in pieces
2 medium eggplant, cut into 1 in pieces
1 14.5 oz can of petite diced stewed tomatoes, very well drained
3 sweet red peppers, such as bell peppers, seeded and cut into thin slices
4 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons fresh or dried rosemary, chopped
4 tablespoons fresh or dried thyme, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Coarse salt and pepper to taste
1 cup olive oil, more as needed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the eggplant, zucchini and 1/2 cup olive oil, and 1 tablespoon each of the rosemary and thyme on a large rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast the veggies, tossing occasionally, until the are golden brown and well cooked, about 45 minutes.
- Heat 1/2 cup of olive oil in a deep skillet on medium high and add onions and garlic (cook until soft and slightly brown about 10 minutes). Then add: drained canned tomatoes, remaining thyme and rosemary, bay leaf, and peppers cook until peppers are soft, about 10-12 minutes. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Add eggplant and zucchini to the skillet on the stove. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, string occasionally, until vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in fresh parsley. Cook until just heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve as suggested, or eat plain!
You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, then gently reheat it, or bring it to room temperature before serving. It is also delicious cold or a room temperature.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Cuisine: French