- 1 lb frozen green beans, not defrosted (or, fresh green beans trimmed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup pinenuts
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the green beans and cook for 2-4 minutes. Drain and place in a bowl with ice-cold water this will stop the cooking process.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and pine nuts and cook until softened and the pinenuts toasted, about 5-7 minutes. Add the beans, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until softened to your taste, about 3-4 minutes.
- Take off the heat and serve hot. (see notes for recipe variations)
Blanching: You can skip the blanching process (cooking method of quickly boiling the green beans), but this will result in a much more crunchy green bean texture. You will also need to increase the cooking time in the pan.
- Bacon - add crunchy bacon to the top of the final green bean dish. You can also cook the beans in bacon grease for additional flavor. Save the bacon dripping the next time you fry up some bacon.
- Cheese - add a sprinkle of parmigiano, or parmesan cheese just before serving for a cheesy addition.
- Red Bell Peppers - the fresh flavors of bell peppers work well with green beans. Simply sautee them when you add the onions and garlic and cook for an extra couple of minutes before adding the green beans.
- Herbs - at the end of cooking add chopped fresh parsley to finish off the roasted green beans, or other herbs such as dill, green onions, or basil.
- Fresh Lemon - garnish the green beans with a squeeze of lemon juice and lemon zest just before serving.
- Nuts - instead of pinenuts use hazelnuts, sliced almonds, pistachios, or walnuts.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: green beans, side dish, garlic, frozen green beans, vegetarian