- 4 medium zucchini (Italian or U.S variety), thinly sliced (here is the Mandoline I like to use)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced or thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 8 leaves fresh basil, torn by hand
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium heat. Add oil. Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes until soft and slightly brown. Add zucchini and keep sautéing for about 10-12 minutes until they are all slightly brown. Stir constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add a drizzle more olive oil in the pan. Cover with lid and turn to low heat. Let simmer an additional 20 minutes until the zucchini are very soft (not mushy). Add the fresh basil and parsley. Stir to combine and take off heat. Add additional salt if desired. Leave covered until ready to serve.
- Serve with fresh ricotta cheese or as a side dish to accompany any meal.
Great tossed with pasta as well.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: zucchini, onion, dinner, side dish, savory, Italian, vegetarian recipe, ricotta cheese