1 Recipe for Italian Pastry Cream (Crema Pasticcera)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (75 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) non flavored oil such as avocado or canola
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup (150 grams) flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- butter or oil for greasing the pan
- powdered sugar for dusting the top
- Grease 11 in tart pan with butter or oil. Preheat oven to 350 degree F
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs and sugar with stand or electric mixer until creamy and pale yellow. Add yogurt and almond extract. Mix again until combined. Add oil and mix it in with a fork until incorporated (not the mixers) this will give the cake a lighter consistency.
- Sift in the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, corn starch, and pinch of salt) to the wet ingredients. Mix with with fork or wooden spoon until unified mixture. Pour cake batter in prepared pan and spread evenly with a rubber spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely. Carefully run a sharp knife along the sides of the pan to loosen cake. Then, invert cake onto a flat surface. Layer cake with the Italian pastry cream and top with desired fruit. Dust with a little powdered sugar for a pretty presentation. Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Category: Sweet/ Dessert
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: cake, almond cake, sponge cake, pastry cream, Italian pastry cream, berries, Italian dessert, crostata morbida, soft cake,