Soft Almond Sponge Cake with Italian Pastry Cream and Berries. EASY one bowl almond cake that bakes in 15 minutes!
The texture of this cake is light and fluffy with a sweet almond flavor. In Italy we call this type of dessert "crostata morbida" or "soft crust pie". A crostata is an open-faced fruit tart with a variety of fillings.
Typically the crust has a harder crumb like a biscuit cookie. This crostata is soft and resembles a sponge cake.
Why I love this recipe
The sponge cake bounces back it is so delicate! I love any dessert with almond flavoring. It adds an unexpected depth that makes it unique. This almond cake is filled with our famous Italian Pastry Cream (Crema Pasticcera) Recipe and topped with loads of fresh fruit. It is perfect for any season!
I am sure you will be the favorite if you show up with this dessert in hand the next time you are invited to dinner. You can also make a chocolate version! with Italian Chocolate Pastry Cream (Crema Pasticcera).
This easy cake requires a few simple ingredients for a classic Italian dessert.
- Granulated sugar
- Plain whole milk yogurt
- Non flavored oil such as canola*
- Almond extract
- Baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- All purpose flour
- Corn starch
- Butter or oil for greasing the pan
- you can use olive oil, but it will change the taste a bit. Instead try: Italian Olive Oil Cake Orange Honey (easy).
See quantities in recipe card.
Here is the pan I use to achieve the space in the middle to add room for the filling. This pan is great if you like to bake desserts with a pre-baked crust with filling. I highly recommend buying one since you can use it for different desserts.
If you want to make the sponge cake without this pan use a standard 9 or 11 inch round cake or tart pan. You can serve the cream and berries on the side or on top. It won't look as pretty, but it will still taste DELICIOUS.
Purchase the Formed Pan.
Easy One Bowl Cake Recipe
There are only a few pantry staples for this simple almond cake recipe. It easily mixes together in one bowl and only requires about 15 minutes of baking time. It is a simple and delicious Italian almond cake.
This easy cake is so flavorful and moist, you'd never guess it's so simple to make at home! You'll fall in love with this cake at first bite.
One of my favorite things about this cake (besides how easy it is to prepare) is that it's perfect for any time of day. It's not only a wonderful dessert, but also makes a great breakfast treat as well.
It is light and moist and not overly sweet, with an amazing almond flavor that perfectly complements a hot cuppa coffee or tea.
What Fruits Pair well with this Almond Cake?
I love fresh berries, such as raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries, with this cake in the summer time! The sky is the limit as far as fresh fruit variations you can add on top. You can try:
Find a seasonal fruit that you love and add try it! I would not recommend hard fruits such as apples.
- Add a little almond paste (1 tablespoon) in the pastry cream to add more almond flavor.
- If you are gluten free you can try using almond flour (the texture and taste will change a lot). I have not tried this, but a few readers told me it works!
- Use sour cream instead of yogurt. This will change the flavor slightly, but it is still delicious.
I love the beautiful and simple toppings of fresh berries and Italian pastry cream. Here are a few ideas that make a great addition:
- Freshly whipped cream
- Orange zest
- Lemon zest
- Sliced almonds
Can I make Italian Almond Cake Ahead of Time
Yes! This cake will stay delicious when stored in an airtight container on the counter or in the fridge for several days. When you are ready to serve the cake add your desired topping and serve.
This light cake recipe makes the perfect dessert after Authentic Neapolitan Pizza. Serve with a side salad and enjoy a tasty Italian meal. If you love Italian desserts you must try: Classic Italian Tiramisu Recipe (Authentic).
From My Cucina to Your Table. Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!)
Made with Amore, Elena
More Delicious Desserts for YOU
This surprisingly easy and delicious almond sponge cake with Italian Cream is the perfect show stopping dessert!
Make sure to leave a ⭐️star rating on the recipe card and comment below if you make the recipe. I love to connect with you through my recipes.Print
1 Recipe for Italian Pastry Cream (Crema Pasticcera)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup (75 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup plain whole milk yogurt
- ¼ cup (60 grams) non flavored oil such as avocado or canola
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup (150 grams) flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- butter or oil for greasing the pan
- powdered sugar for dusting the top
- Grease 11 in tart pan with butter or oil. Preheat oven to 350 degree F
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs and sugar with stand or electric mixer until creamy and pale yellow. Add yogurt and almond extract. Mix again until combined. Add oil and mix it in with a fork until incorporated (not the mixers) this will give the cake a lighter consistency.
- Sift in the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, corn starch, and pinch of salt) to the wet ingredients. Mix with with fork or wooden spoon until unified mixture. Pour cake batter in prepared pan and spread evenly with a rubber spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely. Carefully run a sharp knife along the sides of the pan to loosen cake. Then, invert cake onto a flat surface. Layer cake with the Italian pastry cream and top with desired fruit. Dust with a little powdered sugar for a pretty presentation. Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Category: Sweet/ Dessert
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: cake, almond cake, sponge cake, pastry cream, Italian pastry cream, berries, Italian dessert, crostata morbida, soft cake,