Delicious and Pretty Dessert! This light, airy cake recipe is perfect for summer!
This vanilla roll cake – a light and airy Italian vanilla sponge cake with a hint of lemon filled with freshly whipped cream and berries of your choice- is your next dessert. The Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake Recipe is fluffy & light. If you are a Swiss Roll fan you do not want to miss this super easy cake roll recipe. It is soft, feather light, spongy & the whipped cream and berry filling bring it to the next level. Did I mention the cake bakes in 10 minutes? It doesn't get any better than that my friends.
It's a great summertime dessert that you will make on repeat. Bring it to your next BBQ or dinner gathering and wow the crowd with this simple and elegant dessert.
If you like desserts with a cream filling check out these:
Puff Pastry filled with Italian Cream
Italian Crumble Cake Pastry Cream Filling
What is a Cake Roll, Swiss Roll, or Roulade?
A Swiss Roll is a thin sponge cake that’s baked in a sheet pan and then rolled up with jelly, or fruit, and whipped cream or cream cheese filling.
If you think of a Cake Roll as a gourmet dessert that is really hard to make, you might want to think again. Simply bake your cake, spread it with cream filling, roll it up, chill it for a few minutes, and then slice it. It really is that easy!
The tips and recipe below will help even a beginner make a wonderfully delicious (and slightly addictive) Cake Roll.
Fruit Filling Options for Swiss Roll Cake
The roll cake is so fresh, so light in texture, and filled with two of my favorite things: lightly sweetened whipped cream and fresh berries. The best part about this roll cake is you can customize the fruit inside. Pick what is in season, at your local fruit stand, or even the fruit you are growing in your backyard! Here are some ideas for fresh fruit:
- cheeries (pitted)
As pictured in this cake you can also mix and match the berries to combine a couple varieties. If you can't find fresh fruit that is in season this type of cake is also delicious filled with a layer of jam and freshly whipped cream. Whatever fillings you use make sure not to over stuff the cake or it will break when you roll it. You can always reserve more of the filling and serve it on the side.
If you like jam filled desserts, try these:
Italian Crumble Cake with Jam Filling
Cream Filling Options for Swiss Roll Cake
I love the traditional version with slightly sweetened whipped cream. You can also use:
Cream Cheese- beat with sugar until desired sweetness
Mascarpone Cream- beat with sugar until desired sweetness
Italian Pastry Cream (Crema Pasticcera) Recipe
Tips for Rolling the Perfect Cake Roll (Swiss Cake or Roulade)
How do you Assemble this type of cake without it breaking?
- Sift the flour. This will give you the lightest cake ever.
- Room temperature eggs = More Volume (I do this with ALL baked goods)
- Beat the eggs & sugar until pale, light & fluffy. This is VERY IMPORTANT.
- Super Thin Sponge = 17 x 11 pan (this one might break easier since it is VERY thin. You may use 10 x 15 pan for slightly thicker sponge that will be easier to handle.
- No Over baking (Super Important). An over baked sponge will break, crack, snap inevitably while rolling.
- Once your cake layer is baked, flip it onto another sheet of parchment paper that is dusted with powdered sugar.
- Always roll up your cake layer in a tea towel or parchment paper while it’s STILL WARM so it will be flexible, easy to manage, and less likely to crack.
- Do not Over Fill your Cake. When you fill your cake with desired fillings DO NOT stuff the filling too much or it will be harder to roll up your cake.
- If your cake does happens to crack while you’re rolling, don’t panic! Simply sprinkle the top with powdered sugar or a layer of cream and fruit.
From my Cucina to your Table- Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!)
Can you freeze the Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake?
No, the Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake Recipe is not freezable.
How to store a Swiss Roll Cake?
A Swiss roll cake should be stored in an air tight container in the fridge and should be eaten within a few days.
More Delicious Recipes for YOU
Heavenly Angel Food Cake (Strawberries and Cream)
Fresh Strawberry Rhubarb Biscuit Cobbler
Easy Italian Pear Cake (Torta con le Pere) Easy
Creme Caramel Custard Flan Italian Recipe
Made with Amore, ElenaPrint
Vanilla Cake Roll with Cream and Berries (Italian)
This vanilla roll cake – a light and airy vanilla sponge cake filled with freshly whipped cream and berries of your choice. This Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake Recipe is fluffy & light. If you are a Swiss Roll fan you do not want to miss this super easy cake roll recipe. It is soft, feather light, spongy & the whipped cream and berry filling bring it to the next level.
- Total Time: 20 minutes
Italian Sponge Sheet Cake
- 1 cup (140 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- ¾ (120 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 4 large Eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
- pinch of salt
- powdered sugar for dusting and rolling the cake
- clean tea towel for rolling the cake
1 cup of freshly whipped cream sweetened to taste with a dash of vanilla extract (or use other cream options listed in the post)
1 cup of sliced berry fruit of choice (see post for ideas)
If using jam as filling use ¾ cup of jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the eggs (room temperature very important), sugar, and vanilla (add lemon zest if using) until pale & fluffy. About 8-10 mins.
- Sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) into an empty bowl.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the beaten eggs- a little bit at a time, stirring after each addition of flour. Fold with a rubber spatula. Be careful not to deflated the egg mixture that is nice and fluffy. Mix well until combined.
- Line a 17 x 11 (very thin) or 10 X 15 (thicker) inch cookie sheet pan with parchment paper. Pour the cake batter and spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Tap the pan and knock out the air bubbles. Bake the cake for 8 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. DO NOT OVER BAKE.
- Now, this is the most crucial part of the whole cake roll process: As soon as you pull the cake out of the oven, turn it out onto a tea towel lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Peel off the parchment paper. Then, starting at one of the short ends, roll the cake up into the towel—yes, you want the towel to be rolled up inside the cake . Allow the cake to cool completely. This will help train the cake to roll up nicely later once its filled.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, gently unroll it. Then spread the desired filling (cream options, jam, or fruit) across the cake, leaving about a half an inch around the edge unfrosted (the filling will spread a bit as you roll). DO NOT OVERFILL. Roll your cake at the same short end you started with before. Then keep rolling the cake up into a spiral. You can use the dishtowel to help the process. In fact, using the dish towel will help keep the outside of your cake roll unblemished. Keep rolling until you reach the very end.
- To maintain that perfect spiral—and to prevent any filling from oozing out when cutting—refrigerate until you’re ready to serve, or at least 30 minutes for cooling. Right before serving place your roll on a serving plate and dust with powdered sugar.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Sweet/ Dessert
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: dessert, cake, Swiss roll cake, sweet recipe, dessert recipe, strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream, roll cake, vanilla cake
Cake Assembly instructions courtesy of Taste of Home
Made this super delicious and easy dessert for Easter .I’ve never made a cake like this before. The recipe is very easy to follow with simple ingredients . Perfectly sweet , not too sweet and nice light ending to a holiday meal . I made with whipped cream and strawberries, sliced some extra strawberries to sprinkle around the cake on the platter with some slivered almonds . Everyone enjoyed it. I plan on keeping this one in the arsenal of fool proof desserts that everyone will like !
So happy it made it to your fool proof desserts. It is a yummy recipe that is easy to whip up, and it looks fancy!