The Best Angel Food Cake
Angel Food Cake is truly heaven sent. The light, fluffy, white, and tender texture make it easy to eat on repeat. This special dessert is one of my all time favorites. It's soft cloud like texture is ideal for soaking up fruit juices and freshly whipped cream . I love that you can add a variety of different toppings to make it your own depending on the season and individual taste. My favorites are blueberry and strawberry puree. What are yours?
Since this recipe only uses egg whites SAVE the yolks for this recipe: Italian Pastry Cream (Crema Pasticcera) Recipe
If you make this recipe please write a comment to tell me your thoughts! I want to connect with all of you through your experience with my recipes.
Tube Pan I recommend for the Perfect Angel Food Cake
The Sifter/strainer/mesh I love. I also use this for other baking and cooking.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes for YOU
Made with Amore,
- 12 eggs, separate the egg yolks and egg whites in separate bowls. Best if the egg whites are at room temperature before whipping. ONLY USE WHITES.
- 1 ¾ cups (224g) sugar
- 1 cup (125g) cake flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ⅓ cup (79 ml) warm water
- 2 teaspoons real lemon or orange extract
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 pint of freshly whipped cream, sweetened to taste for serving
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a food processor spin the sugar until superfine about 2 minutes
- Sift half the sugar with salt and cake flour
- Set remaining sugar aside
- In a stand mixer, using a ballon whisk attachment, combine egg whites (make sure there is no trace of yolks), water, lemon or orange extract, and cream of tartar and beat on medium speed
- Once the mixture becomes frothy, slowly sift in the reserve sugar. Continue to beat the eggs until medium stiff peaks form.
- Sift the flour mixture onto the egg mixture in small amounts at a time (just enough to dust the top of the egg mixture). Using a spatula, gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture until incorporated (be careful to not over mix). Continue this process until all of the flour mixture has been incorporated into the egg mixture.
- Place the batter into an angel food cake baking pan (do NOT grease or oil the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 30-35 mins
- Cool, upside down, on a cooling rack for 1 hour before removing from pan (this keeps the cake from collapsing as it cools, allowing for a light fluffy texture)
- Puree the blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a blender
- Place in a jar with a tight lid
- Save in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
To serve: cut cake in thick slices. Pour blueberry sauce over cake. Add dollops of freshly whipped cream. Sprinkle with fresh blueberries.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Italian/ French/ American
- Cuisine: Italian/ French/ American
Keywords: dessert, cake, angel food cake, sweet recipe, dessert recipe, strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream