These gorgeous puff pastries filled with Italian pastry cream are your next fancy dessert that is also surprisingly very easy to make! The flaky puff pastry and the smooth lemon vanilla cream filling pair perfectly with berries for a show topping dessert. Add a dusting of powdered sugar and you are ready to bring these to your next gathering. Bonus: serve them for Mother's Day dessert and become the new favorite in the family.
What is the best store bought puff pastry?
Since we aren't making our own puff pastry there are a few things to keep in mind when buying it from the store. Here are tips for getting the best results: Choose butter, if you can. The two brands of frozen puff pastry you're most likely to find: Dufour, made with butter, and Pepperidge Farm, made with vegetable-based fats. If you're a Trader Joe's shopper, the chain also sells an all-butter version. I recommended using one of these brands as I know them best and approve the taste. You can certainly use another kind if you prefer!
For more on why you should use puff pasty read this article How to use frozen puff pastry, one of the best kitchen timesavers.
Get all the tips and tricks to make the perfect Italian Pastry Cream
Here are the Pastry/Cookie/Ravioli Cutters I use (they are currently sold out of the bronze color)
From My Cucina (kitchen) to Your Table: Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!)
How beautiful and scrumptious are these Puff Pastries with that dusting of powdered sugar and Creamy Dreamy filling? Since I've eaten many, many, many of these in my lifetime I can easily give them a 10/10 for taste, texture, and presentation.
You can serve these cute pastries with any berries or fruit.
- And more!
Even a delicious homemade (or store bought) preserve/jam of your liking!
Made with Amore, Elena
More Delicious Recipes for YOUPrint
- 1 recipe for Italian Pastry Cream
- 1 package of store bought puff pastry of choice (2 ready bake sheets 430 grams)
- 2 cups fruit of choice, diced
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Prepare pastry cream and set aside (this can be done up to one week in advance if stored in an airtight container in the fridge). Thaw puff pastry per package directions.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place pastry sheets on lightly floured surface and remove parchment paper. Roll out dough and cut out round shapes with pastry cutters. Depending on the size of your cookie cutters you will get a varying number of dough circles.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place puff pastry dough cut outs on lined cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes until slightly golden brown. Let cool. Right before serving- cut the individual puff pastries in half and fill with desired amount of pastry cream. Top with berries. Dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Sweet/ Dessert
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pastry cream, Italian dessert, crema pasticcera, Italian custard, custard, cream recipe, dessert recipe, sweet recipe, Italian crema, puff pastry,