Best Banana Cream Dream Pie (with homemade custard). This recipe is light, creamy, and dreamy; this is the best banana cream pie recipe!
Why you'll love this pie
This banana cream pie will leave you dreaming for days of its’ goodness! It is silky, smooth, and light while remaining dense and custardy.
There is a secret step with the eggs that creates this dreamy consistency.
This is a tried and true recipe passed down from Jordan’s grandmother, Rhea. Trust me, this pie is called dreamy for a reason!
Banana Cream Pie is an old-fashioned pie. A tender and flaky pie crust is filled with layers of bananas and a rich, creamy custard.
It’s all topped off with mounds of freshly whipped cream. When it comes to dessert, you can’t go wrong with serving this luscious homemade pie.
Best Banana Cream Pie
The custard is made from scratch on the stovetop and is surprisingly easy to prepare and worth every minute. Once you try this scrumptious banana cream pie you won't go back to any others!
Prepare ONE recipe of either crust. Follow the blind bake instructions in the recipe. See the recipe card below for a full printable recipe and instructions.
- Whole milk
- Egg yolks
- Pure vanilla extract
- Bananas (sliced)
- Heavy whipped cream (whipped and sweetened as desired) for topping
Homemade Custard Filling
There is a secret to the creamy custard that sets it apart from any other.
The egg whites are whipped until stiff peaks and added to the hot milk and egg custard mixture.
This added step makes the custard fluffy, soft, and light like nothing you've ever tasted! Try it and see. It's truly irresistible.
Pie Crust Recipe for Banana Cream Pie
I have two tried and true crust recipes to choose from. One is vegan, and the other is the opposite, with loads of butter!
Read each post to find out which one you prefer and match that with this banana cream pie!
You can't go wrong with either so pick your favorite, or try both, and see for yourself.
Next-level silky, soft, and delicious custard pie! Once you try this recipe, it will be hard to go back to any other.
Make sure to leave a ⭐️star rating on the recipe card and comment below if you make the recipe. I love to connect with you through my recipes.
Banana Pie Dreams. This silky smooth custard sets this pie apart from anything you've ever tasted!Print
Prepare ONE recipe of either crust. Follow the blind bake instructions in the recipe.
- 6 tablespoons sugar (divided, 3 tablespoons each)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 egg yolks beaten (save egg whites in a clean bowl)
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 ripe bananas (sliced)
- 1 pint heavy whipped cream (whipped and sweetened as desired) for topping
- Mix the first three ingredients (3 tablespoons sugar, flour, and salt) in a bowl with a whisk.
- Add milk to a medium saucepan and turn on medium heat.
- Immediately add the sugar flour mixture and stir until thick-, about 8-10 minutes. The mixture should be thick.
- Add the egg yolks and keep stirring for another few minutes.
- Last, add the butter and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar until stiff peaks (but not meringue).
- Fold egg whites into the hot custard mixture.
- Place sliced bananas on the bottom of the prepared pie crust. Add custard on top to cover the bananas completely. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Set in fridge for at least 2 hours up to 24 days (crust won’t be as fresh after two days).
- Before serving, add mounds of freshly whipped cream to the pie and serve!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Sweet/ Dessert
- Method: American
- Cuisine: American