Prepare ONE recipe of either crust. Follow the blind bake instructions in the recipe.
- 6 tablespoons sugar (divided, 3 tablespoons each)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 egg yolks beaten (save egg whites in a clean bowl)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 ripe bananas (sliced)
- 1 pint heavy whipped cream (whipped and sweetened as desired) for topping
- Mix the first three ingredients (3 tablespoons sugar, flour, and salt) in a bowl with a whisk.
- Add milk to a medium saucepan and turn on medium heat.
- Immediately add the sugar flour mixture and stir until thick-, about 8-10 minutes. The mixture should be thick.
- Add the egg yolks and keep stirring for another few minutes.
- Last, add the butter and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar until stiff peaks (but not meringue).
- Fold egg whites into the hot custard mixture.
- Place sliced bananas on the bottom of the prepared pie crust. Add custard on top to cover the bananas completely. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Set in fridge for at least 2 hours up to 24 days (crust won’t be as fresh after two days).
- Before serving, add mounds of freshly whipped cream to the pie and serve!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Sweet/ Dessert
- Method: American
- Cuisine: American