- 1 pound of 80-85% lean ground beef
- 2 slices of stale bread
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced parsley (optional 1 Tbs fresh minced garlic)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- extra parmigiano for serving
- 1 large can (28 oz) good quality crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 fresh basil leaves, whole
- Pour extra-virgin olive oil into a large frying pan and brown the onion (about 7 minutes on medium heat). Add canned tomatoes and simmer, 10-15 minutes. Turn off heat and cover with lid.
- Place bread and milk in large mixing bowl, let sit for 2 min, until soft.
- Add egg to bread and milk mixture and mix to combine
- Add ground meat, parsley, garlic, parmigiano, salt, pepper. Mix WELL with your hands. If it too wet add some breadcrumbs
- Take the beef mixture and gently roll between your hands to form 1 1/2-inch meatballs. Use breadcrumbs to prevent sticking. Set prepared meatballs on cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap.
- Plunge your meatballs into pot with the tomato sauce. Turn on heat to medium low. Cook for 20 minutes or until meatballs are fully cooked in the center. Once finished cooking add the basil and cover with lid. Turn off heat.
Cook your favorite pasta or gnocchi, as directed by package, to serve with meatballs. You can also eat without the pasta and serve on yummy bread. Try with Easy Polenta Recipe. Generously top with parmigiano and serve hot!
Freeze portions of meatballs and sauce in a freezer friendly container and have a healthy meal ready to go! Freeze up to 2 months
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: italian meatballs in tomato sauce recipe, polpette con sugo recipe