- 1 pound orecchiette or other short pasta
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 of a large yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1/2 cup fire roasted red peppers
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 6 basil leaves torn by hand
- 1/3 cup grated parmigiano cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add roasted peppers; cook until heated through. Sprinkle in basil leaves and stir. Add arugula and cook for 1-2 minutes until it is soft and cooked. Turn off heat.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Transfer sausage mixture to bowl (or keep in pan and add following ingredients to pan); add pasta, reserved pasta water, and Parmesan. Toss to combine. Serve hot!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: orecchiette pasta, easy dinner, Italian food, Italian recipe, Italian sausage, arugula salad, roasted red peppers, achievable dinner