Delicious and Easy Pasta Meal Ahead…
Everyone Loves This Italian Sausage Pasta Recipe! It is full of flavor from the fennel in the sausage and fresh from the arugula and roasted red peppers. Italian sausage adds the perfect flavor to any pasta dish. This sausage and pasta recipe is a quick and easy skillet meal with incredible flavor, perfect for weeknight dinners with family. You’ll love every bite of this easy pasta recipe!
Made with Amore, Elena
Orecchiette Pasta Variety
I love using orecchiette for this dish since it makes little pockets for the sausage. It makes for a great mouthful with a little bite of everything. We like this recipe so much, we’ve tried it with penne pasta and other fun pasta shapes. If you are interested in learning more about which pasta shapes go best with which sauce read: Pasta Quality Matters: Cheap vs. Expensive Pasta
What Does Arugula Taste Like?
Fresh arugula leaves have a distinctive spicy kick that will turn up the flavors in your salads, pastas, sandwiches, and sauces.
The flavor can be bright, tart, peppery, and slightly bitter, depending on its maturity. If you are worried it won’t be a hit SWAP FOR SPINACH. Before you do so, I encourage you to try the dish with arugula!
Roasted Red Peppers
You can certainly make your own roasted red peppers, and I certainly do, but for this recipe I use a good quality variety from a jar. Roasted red peppers from a jar are great and help make this meal a little more simple. They are sweet and intensely smoky, with a smooth, almost silky texture. Yumm! I even love to eat them plain.
Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!)
You might like to Read Why you Should Grate your Own Cheese
MORE delicious Pasta RecipesPrint
Everyone Loves This Italian Sausage Pasta Recipe! It is full of flavor from the fennel in sausage and fresh from the arugula and roasted red peppers. Italian sausage adds the perfect flavor to any pasta dish. This sausage and pasta recipe is a quick and easy skillet meal with incredible flavor, perfect for weeknight dinners with family. You’ll love every bite of this easy pasta recipe!
- 1 pound orecchiette or other short pasta
- 1/2 Cup reserved pasta water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 of a large yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1/2 Cup fire roasted red peppers
- 2 Cups fresh arugula
- 6 basil leaves torn by hand
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Add roasted peppers; cook until heated through. Sprinkle in basil leaves and stir. Add arugula and cook for 1-2 minutes until it is soft and cooked. Turn off heat.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Transfer sausage mixture to bowl (or keep in pan and add following ingredients to pan); add pasta, reserved pasta water, and Parmesan. Toss to combine. Serve hot!
Keywords: orecchiette pasta, easy dinner, Italian food, Italian recipe, Italian sausage, arugula salad, roasted red peppers, achievable dinner