Easy Skillet Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe is a recipe the entire family will love. It’s a one-skillet dish for all occasions that the whole family will love.
This easy skillet meal goes well as an Italian sausage sandwich in crusty Italian bread, with American style hoagie rolls or a sub roll. You can also serve it on top of authentic polenta (one of my favorite recipes in the winter time).
Add a side salad for a well rounded meal. You can even serve it with cauliflower rice for a healthy accompaniment.
Why I love this recipe
Sausage and peppers is an easy comfort food I love to make for my family.
The combination of Italian sausage and peppers is a classic dish I often make when I am short on time. It is a classic dish in Italian cuisine. Depending on the region in Italy you will see different types of sausage that are used that are particular to that region.
Italian sausage and peppers can be on your table ready to eat in 30 min or less. What's better than a delicious meal that comes together quickly?
One-pan dinners are always welcome and make the best dinners! Quick and effortless this will be one of your favorite recipes for busy weeknights. Here is a similar recipe you will love: Italian Sheet Pan Sausage, Potatoes, and Tomatoes.
- Ingredients for Sausage and Peppers Skillet Recipe
- Instructions- How to make
- How to make Italian Sausage and Peppers Skillet (Video)
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Skillet
- Italian Sausage Recommendations
- Variations for Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Serving Suggestions for Sausage and Peppers
- Skillet recommendations
- Leftovers for Sausage and Skillet
- Origins of this dish in America
- Top tips
- Easy Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe (Skillet)
Ingredients for Sausage and Peppers Skillet Recipe
- Sweet Italian sausage (or sausage of choice)
- Olive oil
- Yellow pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Red bell pepper
- Orange bell pepper
- White wine
See the recipe card for quantities.
Instructions- How to make
- Place the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, and brown on all sides (the sausages are not cooked all the way in this step they are just browned). Remove from the skillet and slice into pieces of desired thickness.
2. Add olive oil to the skillet. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add bell peppers and stir to combine. Season with thyme and oregano. Add white wine. Continue to cook and stir until peppers and onions are tender with a slight bite (about 5-6 minutes).
4. Return sausage slices to the skillet with the onions and peppers. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until sausage is heated through.
Hint: If you want to first cut the sausage before frying it you can do that as well!
How to make Italian Sausage and Peppers Skillet (Video)
This recipe is super easy to make! Watch this short video and see.
Italian Sausage and Peppers Skillet
Some Italian delicatessens in the United States prepare and serve sausage and peppers as a dish on its own, sometimes with the use of additional ingredients such as tomato sauce, onions, and pasta, and it is sometimes served in the form of a sandwich.
This is one of those easy recipes that pack so much flavor with few ingredients and little time.
Italian Sausage Recommendations
Authentic "Italian" Sausage Variety. Italian sausage, as it's referred to in the United States, is most often a pork sausage that is made with fennel seed or anise.
It adds lots of flavors and is perfect for this meal. You can get the small variety at most grocery store meat counters, or your local butcher. If you can't find this variety use your favorite sausage!
Use sweet Italian sausage, mild, or hot Italian sausages. Use the variety you like best. Italian turkey sausage or chicken sausage will also work!
Variations for Italian Sausage and Peppers
This meal is tasty as it is! The first time you make this meal follow the recipe. The next time you make it try adding these variations. Enjoy all the different ways to make this meal.
- Spicy - add red pepper flakes or a hot pepper variety to kick it up a notch!
- Veggies- add mushrooms or other hearty vegetables to the dish.
- Sweet onions- you can vary the onion variety to your liking. Try white or sweet onion.
- Green peppers- add green bell peppers if you like those! I love the other bell pepper varieties more, but add any to your preference. Use the variety of peppers you like best and mix it up when you want.
- Red wine- you can add red wine or white wine interchangeably to vary the flavor.
- Crushed tomatoes- add crushed tomatoes to make this more of a thick sauce. A little tomato pasta can thicken it and add flavor as well.
There are countless flavor combinations to change up your roasting pan and make your sausage of choice into a delicious skillet meal!
You can certainly vary the meat in this recipe and try:
- Chicken sausages
- Spicy Italian sausage (sweet Italian sausage or mild Italian sausage)
- Beef sausage
- Turkey sausage
- Pork sausages
Serving Suggestions for Sausage and Peppers
You can even make homemade pasta to serve with this hearty meat dish.
Don't forget dessert! Classic Italian Tiramisu Recipe (Authentic), Creamy Frozen Lemon Bars with Graham Cracker Crust, or Simple Italian Apple Cake (one bowl) pair nicely with this meal.
The skillet to use: I love cooking in a cast iron skillet. It distributes the heat evenly throughout the bottom of the pan and up into the sides. It’s naturally nonstick and super durable. You can also use a dutch oven-type pot.
Any large skillet will work for sausage and peppers if you don't have or want to purchase a cast iron.
*includes affiliate links.
Leftover sausage and peppers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can also freeze the cooked dish for up to 3 months; however, the vegetables will be softer and mushier when thawed.
I personally, do like to freeze this meal as leftovers. It is so easy to prepare I like to make it fresh!
Reheat the mixture in a skillet over low heat, just until warmed through -- about 7-10 minutes.
Leftovers for Sausage and Skillet
If you have any leftovers toss them with fresh al dente pasta and enjoy peppers and pasta, or place them on a ciabatta or focaccia bread with some mozzarella cheese! Either way, some extra tomato sauce (marinara sauce) is a fantastic addition.
An easy skillet meal that makes a tasty dinner or lunch the next day as well.
Origins of this dish in America
Sausage and peppers is a common dish at the Feast of San Gennaro where it was first served back in 1927, Italian street festivals, in the New York City area.
- Peppers and Onions: Be sure to cut your onions and peppers into the same-sized pieces for even cooking.
- The sausage is done when it's no longer pink in the center. If you're using an instant-read meat thermometer, you'll know it's ready when the sausage reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
More recipes for you:
- Fried Spaghetti Recipe with Leftover Pasta
- Perfect Pork Tenderloin with Fennel
- Gemelli Pasta Recipe with Tomatoes and Mascarpone
- Lobster Ravioli Sauce with Brown Butter
- Authentic Italian Pasta Carbonara (no cream)
Make sure to leave a ⭐️star rating on the recipe card and comment below if you make the recipe. I love to connect with you through my recipes.Print
- 4 (4 ounce) links sweet Italian sausages (or sausage of choice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped (1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh oregano, finely chopped (1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh basil for garnish
- Place the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, and brown on all sides (the sausages are not cooked all the way in this step they are just browned). Remove from skillet, let cool a bit (5 minutes) and slice into pieces of desired thickness.
- Add olive oil to the skillet. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add bell peppers and stir to combine. Season with thyme and oregano. Add white wine. Continue to cook and stir until peppers and onions are tender with a slight bite (about 5-6 minutes).
- Return sausage slices to the skillet with the onions and peppers. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until sausage is heated through.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: sausage, herbs, peppers, onions, easy meal, Italian recipe, main meal