This 30 minute sheet pan Italian Sausage, Potatoes, and Tomato meal is rustic, hearty, and filling for any weeknight family dinner or lazy weekend night with friends. It is a meal that is sure to hit the spot every time! Add this to your list of weekly favorites this season.
This no frills Italian dinner is typical to the Northern Region of Italian in the cold months. It is simple and loved by all! The succulent roasted Italian sausage coated in the sweet tomatoes and herbs makes me think of the days my nonna used to make this meal for us. I can smell it now! The potatoes delicately balance out the flavors with their neutral yet hearty taste creating a perfectly balanced meal.
- Olive oil
- Peeled whole canned tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional: add bell peppers and onions!
Best Sausage for this Recipe
“Italian” Sausage Variety
Italian sausage, as it’s referred to in the United States, is most often a pork sausage that is made with fennel seed or anise. It packs a ton of flavor and is perfect for this meal. You can get the small variety at most grocery store meat counters, or your local butcher. If you can’t find this variety use your favorite sausage!
Recommended Potato Variety
Yukon Gold Potato Variety
It all starts with the potatoes themselves. In order to achieve the creamy smooth texture you MUST use the YUKON GOLD variety. This is the closest variety to the Italian yellow potato variety that I find in Sardegna, Italy. The flesh is yellow to gold, firm, naturally flavorful, and moist and makes them perfect for roasting in the oven.
Baked sausage and potatoes is a rustic and succulent dish prepared in no time.
It doesn’t get easier than this one pan meal of roasted goodness. Here is to easy and tasty Italian cooking! I hope you enjoy this simple meal as much as we do!
Does the brand of canned tomatoes matter?
In short, yes! There aren’t many ingredients in this meal so pick ones that will deliver the best quality for better taste. Canned tomato varieties that boast of being diced or crushed tend to have more additives to keep them fresh, and they also tend to be harder to breakdown when making sauces, soups, or roasting.
For this recipe you will need canned whole peeled tomatoes. I recommend these brands:
- Muir Glen
Made with Amore, Elena
From my Cucina to your Table, Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!)
More delicious recipes for you…Print
This meal is rustic, hearty, and filling for any weeknight family dinner or lazy weekend night with friends, baked sausage, potatoes, and tomatoes are sure to hit the spot! It is a sheet pan meal that bakes in 30 minutes.
- 1 lb Italian sausage (or sausage of choice)
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 14.5 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, cut into pieces and liquid drained
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and cut in quarters
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with foil. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the prepared potatoes and garlic to the baking sheet, add olive oil and toss to coat all sides. Arrange the sausage links on top of the potatoes. Add the tomatoes to the pan and gently toss to combine. Sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper. Bake for 30-35, or until potatoes pierce through with a fork. You can open the oven and stir from time to time to ensure the dish cooks evenly. Serve hot. Mangia! (Eat)
Keywords: sausage, potatoes, tomatoes, herbs, sheet pan dinner, easy meal, Italian recipe