This delectable Creamy Chicken Skillet Recipe with Mushrooms comes together in under 30 minutes! This will become a new family favorite!
Creamy Chicken Skillet recipe with mushrooms in a creamy garlic herb sauce is a quick solution for a busy weeknight dinner. It’s a meal that feels super fancy, but only takes about 25 minutes to make. It is a delicious recipe everyone will run to the table to eat.
This Creamy Chicken Skillet with mushrooms is the ultimate weeknight comfort food! Made with tender chicken thighs, cream, hearty mushrooms, and loads of salty parmesan cheese, this simple recipe is straight up irresistible!
An easy chicken recipe you will make time and time again! This is a great way to serve an upscale (yet easy) meal to dinner guest. It packs tons of flavor with simple ingredients.
- Chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Heavy cream
- Freshly grated parmigiano cheese or parmesan cheese (plus extra for topping chicken)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Step by Step Instruction Video
This chicken dinner comes together quickly and is warm and comforting! It is an easy recipe that requires only 20 minutes of cooking time.
Creamy Chicken Skillet with Mushrooms
This will become a new weekly favorite! Skillet meals are our favorite lately. They are ready in just 30 minutes and they taste like they are from a restaurant. A great recipe for any occasion.
Here are more easy one pan meal ideas: Italian Sheet Pan Sausage, Potatoes, and Tomatoes and Sheet Pan Orange Chicken with Potatoes and Veggies, or try Easy Italian Style Nachos (sheet pan), and Easy Italian Sausage and Peppers Skillet Recipe.
Best Cream Sauce for Chicken
Easy Chicken Skillet Recipe
I love using chicken thighs with the skin ON for this recipe to get that crispy skin with the added parmigiano cheese on top to add even more of a crisp top.
You can also use chicken breasts. The result will still be delicious!
Top Cooking Tips
The key to getting that extra crispy skin on top is to finish the dish in the oven.
I put the pan in the oven on broil for about 4-8 minutes until the skin is nice and brown and the sauce is bubbly.
When you place the pan in the oven under the broiler make sure to watch it carefully as all broilers are a little different.
Variations for Creamy Chicken Skillet
This meal is tasty as it is! The first time you make this meal follow the recipe. The next time you make it try adding these variations. Enjoy all the different ways to make this meal.
- Spicy - add red pepper flakes or a hot pepper variety to kick it up a notch!
- Veggies- add other hearty vegetables to the dish.
- Sweet onions- you can vary the onion variety to your liking. Try white or sweet onion.
- Green peppers- add green bell peppers if you like those! I love the other bell pepper varieties more, but add any to your preference. Use the variety of peppers you like best and mix it up when you want.
- Red wine or white wine- you can add red wine or white wine interchangeably to vary the flavor.
- Add Spinach: Spinach would be a lovely addition to this skillet chicken dish. Just add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach during the last few minutes of cooking the cream sauce and chicken. The heat from the dish should wilt the spinach (or cover the skillet to speed up the process).
- Chicken breast. You can also use skinless chicken breasts in this dish with success. For a different twist substitute the chicken with salmon or shrimp.
- Use Chicken Broth or chicken stock: I haven’t tried this recommendation, but my guess is to make it lighter you can use half chicken broth/stock and half cream to make it "lighter".
- Italian seasoning. If you don't have fresh herbs use Italian seasoning, even use garlic powder if you don't have fresh garlic cloves.
- Cream cheese: add a dollop of cream cheese to add more flavor to the creamy herb sauce.
Use the type of mushrooms you and your family love best.
I promise that you will love this chicken skillet with creamy garlic sauce and heaps of hearty mushrooms as much as we do! This creamy sauce is herby, savory, and literally amazing. Don't let any go to waste. Get that crusty bread ready for dipping.
If you are dairy free you can certainly use coconut milk instead of the heavy cream.
The skillet to use: I love cooking in a cast iron skillet. It distributes the heat evenly throughout the bottom of the pan and up into the sides. It’s naturally non stick and super durable. You can also use a dutch oven type pot.
Any large skillet will work for sausage and peppers if you don't have or want to purchase a cast iron.
*includes affiliate links
Storing Chicken Skillet
Keep this in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a pan on the stove.
Store in freezer in airtight container for up to 4 weeks. Thaw in the fridge and then warm up on the stove top or microwave.
What to serve with Creamy Chicken Skillet
This chicken dinner makes for a delicious main dish! Here are some sides to go with this cozy meal: Italian Salad Pears, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola, homemade Italian bread, and that's it! A simple and tasty meal.
Craving something SWEET for dessert?
This Creamy Parmigiano Herb Mushroom Chicken will become your new favorite recipe!Print
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on (bone in optional)
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt Pepper to taste
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup freshly grated parmigiano cheese (plus extra for topping chicken)
- ½ tablespoon dried rosemary
- ½ tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 large, whole, bayleaves
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large (oven safe) skillet add olive oil and cook both sides of the chicken on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes until brown and cooked until no longer pink in center.
- Remove chicken and set aside on a plate. Add the butter, sliced mushrooms, garlic, and herbs to pan. Cook for a few minutes (3-5) until tender. Remove and set aside.
- Add chicken first them mushrooms back to pan. Pour cream oven the chicken and mushroom. Cover completely with the parmigiano cheese.
- Let simmer about 5-6 minutes until slightly bubbly. Then, broil in the oven about 4-6 minutes until the skin on the chicken is nice and crisp/brown and the sauce is bubbly! Serve hot over rice, pasta, polenta, or eat with a side of delicious bread!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chicken, creamy sauce, mushrooms, easy dinner, herb chicken