This delicious, easy Sheet Pan Orange Chicken with Potatoes and Veggies will have your entire family craving more. This one pan meal is the champion of ease, flavor, and versatility!
Easy Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
Who loves a one pan meal? ME! In the midst of three children, school, homework, activities, teaching, owning a business, and LIFE I love a one pan meal.
There is a little chopping prep up front, but once it's in the oven you are done! I add lots of fresh herbs to the veggies and stuff the chicken with orange and mint- a little spiced honey glaze and you've got a winner winner chicken dinner!
I love the taste of orange and honey with a little chili flakes. It complements this. veggies and chicken in a delightful way!
- Bone in skin on chicken leg quarters (also use chicken thighs)
- Yellow onion
- Potato medley
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh oregano
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh mint
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Honey for drizzling
- Olive oil
- Chili flakes (optional) *see note
*If you want to go the extra mile and make your own spiced honey (which I do) I use this recipe: https://mayeightyfive.com/blog/spiced-honey
You will love how easily this meal comes together! The big secret is adding butter, orange slices, and herbs under the skin of the chicken thighs to give it EXTRA flavor.
The veggies are simply tossed in olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. To top it off, the chicken is drizzled with a sweet and spicy honey! If you don't love spice you can leave it out entirely.
This meal is finger lickin' good!
I bake the chicken on top of the baking rack so it stays nice and crisp without touching the veggies. The drippings get to all the veggies and potatoes and create a delicious flavor!
If you like more veggies. Try adding:
- Bell peppers
- Baby carrots
- Butternut Squash
- Brussels Sprouts
- French Style green beans
Make sure not to overcrowd the pan or the meats and veggies won't roast as well in the oven.
Can you use chicken breast? Because of the longer cooking time to get the vegetables perfectly caramelized, it’s best to use bone-in chicken thighs. Baked chicken breasts only need about 20 to 25 minutes to cook before they start to dry out.
This is one dish makes for great leftovers. They taste just as amazing the next day!
- To store: You can store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
- To freeze: Add leftovers to a freezer-safe container and it will keep for up to 3 months.
- For reheating: Just add a portion to a plate and microwave it for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the chicken and vegetables are warmed through.
Why I love this sheet pan dinner
They are simple and rustic. Toss all the ingredients on the pan and bake is typically all you need to do!
Less mess! That's a big one for me.
They are versatile. Grab a protein, some veggies, and a starch and toss it all together with your favorite spices. Dinner is served!
Make sure to make a delicious and easy loaf of bread to go with this easy meal: Easy Soft Italian No Knead Bread or No Knead Italian Focaccia Bread. I love a good salad as well to round out the meal. Try one of our favorites: Italian Salad Pears, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola.
From my Cucina to your Table, Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!). Made with Amore, Elena
More delicious recipes for you…
Juicy, sweet and sticky honey orange chicken with potatoes and veggies make this Sheet Pan Orange Chicken with Potatoes and Veggies a simple favorite for everyone. Less mess and a healthy, hearty meal for the family!Print
4 large bone in skin on chicken leg quarters (also use chicken thighs)
1 large navel orange- cut in slices
1 large yellow onion- sliced
2 large zucchini- cut in 2 inch cubes
4 large whole carrots- cut in 2 inch slices
1 lb bag of petite potato medley- cut petite potatoes in half
1 tablespoon fresh thyme- chopped
1 tablespoon fresh oregano- chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary- chopped
2 tablespoons fresh mint- chopped
coarse sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
honey for drizzling
½ cup of olive oil
Chili flakes (optional) *see note
4 tablespoons of butter- cut into 1 tablespoon chunks
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with tinfoil
- Place all the vegetables and potatoes on the baking sheet- add ¼ cup of the olive oil and all the herbs (reserve ONLY the mint)
- Season with coarse sea salt and pepper then toss
- Place a cookie cooling rack on top of the vegetables
- Place the chicken thighs on the rack and rub with the remain olive oil, season again with salt and pepper
- Place the 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 slice of orange, and a pinch of the mint underneath the skin of each chicken leg quarter
- Sprinkle remaining mint on top of chicken
- Place any remaining orange slices around the chicken
- Drizzle top of the chicken with honey and a little more olive oil, sprinkle tops with chili flakes for extra spice (or *spiced honey recipe)
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes and 350 for an additional 45 minutes- if the chicken starts to get too dark on top at the end tent with foil
If you want to go the extra mile and make your own spiced honey (which I do) I use this recipe: https://mayeightyfive.com/blog/spiced-honey
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Savory