Best Italian Oven Roasted Potatoes- buttery soft on the inside and perfectly crispy on the outside, Italian Roasted Potatoes are a family favorite. Ideal for your holiday table, and weeknight easy!
These potatoes go well with Perfect Pork Tenderloin with Fennel, Pork Chops, or the Roasted Rack of Lamb with Dijon Pistachio Crust, Fresh Ham Roast Recipe (Easy), and a beautiful salad- Italian Fennel, Citrus, Pomegranate and Salad.
Roasted Potato is one of my favorite side dishes and these Italian roasted potatoes recipes are an old family recipe. A quick and easy recipe to roast and bake potatoes in the oven.
Why this recipe works
These Italian oven roasted potatoes are a classic side dish for any meal. They brown beautifully with herbs and olive oil on a sheet pan in the oven.
The texture is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. An easy side dish you will make again and again. These potatoes are absolutely out-of-the-world delicious.
Simple Ingredients for Italian Oven Roasted Potatoes Recipe
- Yellow potatoes (yukon gold)
- Thyme (fresh or dried)
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil (more more greasing pan)
- Bread crumbs (plain, not flavored)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
What makes these potatoes extra special?
It all starts with creating that perfect crispy topping that coats the potatoes as they roast. It's a mix of bread crumbs, fresh herbs, and delicious fruity olive oil.
As the potatoes roast the olive oil and crumb mixture caramelizes on the potatoes and creates a crunch you can't live without.
Make these as a side to a special occasion meal like with this Seared Thin Pork Chops or a simple weeknight dinner with a hearty salad. Here are a few salad recipes that complement this dish to make it a main meal:
- King Crab Salad Recipe (simple and easy)
- Arugula, Apple, and Pistachio Salad in Parmigiano Cups
- Berry and Goat Cheese Salad with Honey Citrus Dressing
Yukon Gold Potato Variety
It all starts with the potatoes themselves. In order to achieve the creamy smooth texture you MUST use the YUKON GOLD variety.
This is the closest variety to the Italian yellow potato variety that I find in Sardegna, Italy.
The flesh is yellow to gold, firm, naturally flavorful, and moist and makes them perfect for roasting.
What oil for roasting potatoes
I recommend olive oil for this recipe and most other times I roast vegetables, meats, or potatoes in the oven.
- Swap fingerling potatoes, or red potatoes for the Yukon gold. You can use baby potatoes or larger potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes. (I don't recommend russet potatoes for this recipe.)
- Add herbs: oregano, marjoram, and thyme are all good options. Fresh herbs give this dish the most flavor, but you can use dried herbs or even Italian seasoning in a pinch, reducing the amount by half.
- Add a few cloves of cut garlic to the oil and herb mixture. Stir once during the last 15 minutes of roasting to be sure that the garlic doesn't get too brown.
- Sprinkle the crispy potatoes with grated parmigiano or Parmesan cheese just before serving.
Italian Oven Roasted Potatoes Recipe
In Italy we call this type of roasted potato "patate insabiate" or "potatoes in sand", yes a little strange, but that's what they look like!
The bread crumb mixture looks a little like sand covering the potatoes. My Zia Rosella makes this recipe at our summer beach house in Sardegna.
When I was little I though the name "patate insabiate" was especially funny since we ate them after playing in the sand and sea all morning.
Even though there isn't soft white sand or the Mediterranean Sea near me as I eat these in Utah, I am transported there when I eat them at our table. They nourish my heart as well as my health and tummy...
Are potatoes good for you?
VITAMIN C One medium Yukon gold potato meets one half of your daily vitamin C needs, and contains nearly twice the amount of vitamin C as a regular baking potato. Vitamin C is used for synthesis of collagen, which helps your body heal wounds.
LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE The Yukon gold potato is a good source of potassium, which may help lower your blood pressure, by decreasing the effects of sodium.
IRON The Yukon gold potato meets 6 percent of your daily value for iron. Although not significantly high in iron, the vitamin C in the potato helps improve its absorption, and may help you meet your iron needs.
Do I need to say more? Make and EAT these potatoes!
Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!)
You don't need to soak waxy potatoes, or semi-waxy potatoes like Yukon Gold, before roasting. If you are using starchy potatoes (like russet potatoes) then, peel and soak them before they are roasted or fried to remove the excess starch that can prevent them from crisping.
More Delicious Recipes for YOU
Made with Amore,
Best Italian Oven Roasted Potatoes Recipe
These Italian Oven Roasted Potatoes will quickly become one of your favorite side dishes. Crispy on the outside; soft and tender on the inside. The perfect side dish for an everyday meal or holiday dinner.
Make sure to leave a ⭐️star rating on the recipe card and comment below if you make the recipe. I love to connect with you through my recipes.Print
- 1. 5 lbs yellow potatoes (yukon gold)
- 2 tablespoons thyme (fresh or dried)
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ cup olive oil (more more greasing pan)
- ¾ cup bread crumbs (plain, not flavored)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a large sheet pan/ cookie sheet with olive oil. If you make it on parchment paper the potatoes won't crisp as well. You may use tinfoil if desired.
- Wash potatoes and pat dry. Cut potatoes into quarters. Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Pour oil on potatoes and mix until coated. I do this with my hands.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the herbs and bread crumbs. Toss well to coat potatoes. Place potatoes on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 F for about 30-40 minutes. Carefully open the oven and toss with spatula once or twice during baking to crisp all edges.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: potato, roasted potato, herbs, potato recipe, easy recipe, sheet pan recipe, sheet pan potatoes, bread crumbs, olive oil, herbs,