Winner-Winner Chicken Dinner
This chicken dinner is simple for a weeknight meal and special for a weekend gathering meal. With a few quality ingredients you will have a delicious and flavorful dinner. These chicken drum sticks braised in wine, rosemary, and plums will elevate your ordinary chicken meal. Another plus is chicken drumsticks are fairly inexpensive, and if you use a just-good-enough wine you won’t break the bank! This is a simplified version of the Italian “chicken cacciatore” with a few less steps to make this a weekly menu repeat! Once it try it, you will want to share it at your next dinner gathering to impress your guests.
Braising is a simple technique were you lightly fry your meat before letting it cook, or “stew” in liquid (generally wine or broth), in a covered dish until it is fully cooked. The first part to braising involves lightly frying the seasoned chicken pieces in batches-about 5 minutes a side. This allows the chicken to brown nicely and not fully cook. Set aside on a plate until needed. This process requires only one pot and the result is an incredibly delicious chicken that is both crispy, tender and succulent. After the drumsticks simmer in the rosemary-infused wine sauce they will achieve a rich and complex flavor unique to the braising process.
Red Wine and Plums
The liquid in this braising recipe uses a combination of red wine and chicken broth. The flavor of the wine and the juice from the sweet plums is a match made in culinary heaven that makes this dish unique. The sauce turns into a thick, rich, flavorful combination that is perfect for bread plunging. After braising the chicken for about 45 minutes, the liquid reduces and thickens. This method will create the perfect consistency and maximize the flavor of the chicken and sauce. Before serving I put the pot in the oven and broil for 5 minutes to achieve a perfect crisp on the chicken. Super Scrumptious.
Enjoy with crusty bread to soak up the delicious sauce that clings to the tender chicken. I serve this meal with a side salad and also made rice for my children. The rice is a great addition for a heartier meal and works perfect to absorb the sauce.
Made with Amore,
More delicious Chicken Recipes HERE
Other Tasty Recipes:Print
Braised chicken is succulent and tender with a sweet and savory wine and plum sauce. Take a 15 minutes to prep then relax while the dish finishes cooking without extra fuss. A meal to serve over and over again! Always Made with Amore!
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 3 lbs) seasoned with plenty of sea salt on all sides
- 4 Tbs of olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 12 Italian plums pitted and cut in half (if using regular plums use 6 as they are larger)
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 3 Tbs homemade or store bought plum jam (if this is too hard to find grape jelly will do)
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs crushed garlic
- 2 Tbs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- In a medium mixing bowl add the wine, chicken broth, plum jam, and tomato paste. stir until combined and set aside.
- Heat a large pot or sauté pan to medium-high heat, warm the oil. Cook the chicken (already salted) until golden brown on all sides, turning the chicken often so that it browns evenly, 5 minutes per side. Set the drumsticks aside on a plate.
- In the pot: add the garlic, onion, and rosemary. Reduce the heat slightly, and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is fragrant, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Add the plums and cook an additions 3 minutes. Pour in the liquid mixture from step 1 over the top.
- Place the drumstick back in the pot. Do not submerge the chicken completely. Cover with lid, leaving a slight vent, and simmer on low-medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Sit back and enjoy the delicious aroma of your meal simmering in the pot.
- Before serving broil the chicken in the oven for 5 minutes to get the chicken skin extra crisp!
Serve with a green salad and warm bread. If desired serve with rice for a heartier meal.
Keywords: Chicken, chicken, dinner, braised chicken, easy dinner, plums and chicken,