The PERFECT ROAST CHICKEN
Succulent. Juicy. Tender. Yes! This is what you will achieve with this recipe. This Roast Chicken with Citrus, Carrots and Fennel definitely beats the feathers off of any store bought rotisserie chicken! Not only does this recipe give you a roast chicken with flavor… it delivers crispy skin, juicy meat and a perfect center piece for your dinner! A simple classic that will please a crowd time and time again.
You might also love this Bake Chicken Breast recipe!
Citrus, Carrots, and Fennel
These flavors brighten up the chicken and make it stand out for an extra special meal. We add some of the flavors inside the bird as well as cooking the veggies and citrus in the bottom of the pot. When the chicken is done cooking you ALSO have seasoned and tender veggies ALREADY MADE!
As you will notice in the recipe I add a little chicken stock to the pot while it cooks. I do this for a couple of reasons:
- It adds a moisture to the veggies and slightly steams the chicken as it cooks in the pot. If you have an oven safe pot with a lid you will notice in the recipe I cook it with the lid ON first. This allows the chicken to steam slightly as it bakes creating perfectly tender and juicy meat. IF you do not have a pot with a lid the liquid will still help the bird stay tender and you can cook with the lid off. See recipe for details.
- It creates extra juice- YUMM- if you want to make gravy or simply have extra sauce for dipping my delicious NO KNEAD BREAD (recipe linked below)
Tips and Tricks
The following steps makes this baked whole chicken stand out from the rest! A recipe you will make again and again!
Rinse and pat dry chicken with paper towel.
Rub butter all over the chicken, under the skin and inside the cavity.
Season chicken outside and inside with salt, pepper. Don’t be afraid to use generous amounts!
Stuff the garlic into the chicken cavity along with the thyme sprigs and the orange. You can also use sprigs of rosemary or any other herb. This will flavor the bird from the inside out!
Place veggies, oranges, and broth in the bottom of the cooking pot
Roast chicken, until cooked through.
Broil until golden and crispy!
MANGIA! MANGIA! (EAT)
Made with Amore,
Sponsored Post. Ceramic "Delight" Cookware provided by: Emile Henry.Print
- 1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs
- 2 medium oranges, sliced in quarters
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) butter, melted
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 bulb of fennel, tops removed, and cut into wedges
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Olive oil
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat. Pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the thyme, garlic, and two orange slices. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the onions, carrots, oranges, and fennel in a roasting pot. Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan. Pour the chicken stock in the pot and place the chicken on top.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour with the lid ON. and the last ½ hours with the lid off. If your pot does not have a lid cook the entire time about 1 ½ hours without the lid. The chicken is done when the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Broil for the last 6 minutes of cooking to get that EXTRA crispy skin!
- Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables and oranges.
Serve with SOFEST NO KNEAD BREAD RECIPE AND MASHED POTATOES AND caramelized ONIONS
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian/ French
- Cuisine: Italian/ French
Keywords: Chicken, chicken dinner, oven chicken, one pot dinner, citrus chicken with carrots and fennel