Easy Side Dish for ANY meal
Looking for any easy-peasy healthy side dish? This petites peas and red onions dish are a perfect match for any meal. We make this recipe in Italy often. The inspiration for this dish is from my great-nonna, Peirina. Everyone in my family still talks about her amazing meals. She inspired my nonna, Laura, and my mamma, Roberta, and me in all our cooking endeavors. I never meet her, but I can feel her through my cooking and baking journey. I proudly present this recipe with her in my heart. Share the love and make this side for all your loved ones!
For this recipes I highly recommend the 'petite' peas or 'baby' sweet peas variety. Compared to the standard green pea, petite peas are smaller in stature with a more tender skin, and a delicately sweet flavor. They are also less starchy and simply, better :). Since peas are the highlight of this dish it's important to pick the right ones to create the taste and texture you desire.
Right before the peas are finished cooking you will stir in a bit of high quality butter and parsley. The butter adds a rich undertone and takes the peas to the next level. The sprinkle of parsley adds a fresh and bright flavor to round out the dish perfectly.
Made with Amore,
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (16 oz/ 1 lb.) bag frozen petite peas
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat, then add: onion, shallots, and garlic. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add peas and broth to pan. Cook an additional 10 minutes until thoroughly cooked, but not wrinkled looking.
- Finish off with butter, salt, pepper, and parsley. Mix to combine. Turn off heat and let sit in pan for 5 minutes. Serve warm!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian