Arugula, Apple, and Pistachio Salad in Parmigiano Cups are the perfect appetizer or salad recipe for your next gathering or dinner at home! This healthy and delicious apple and pistachio salad comes together quickly. It's the perfect combination of salty, and sweet!
More fresh salad recipes for your: Italian Fennel, Citrus, Pomegranate and Salad, Italian Salad Pears, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola, Prosciutto Melon Arugula Salad Citrus Vinaigrette, and Easy Italian Style Pasta Salad with Arugula.
Baby Arugula- Fresh arugula leaves have a distinctive spicy kick. The flavor can be bright, tart, and even a little peppery depending on the maturity. You'll find that baby arugula is delicate and mild, while mature arugula is much spicier. For this salad I like the baby arugula variety.
Basil-The flavor of basil is a balance between sweet and savory, with hints of mint, anise, and pepper. While the initial flavor has tones of black pepper, this aromatic herb ultimately adds a hint of sweetness to any dish, including this salad.
Apples- I recommend using Honey Crisp or Pink Lady apples as they are sweet, slightly tart, and crunchy. This will ensure the perfect balance with the rest of the ingredients
Pistachios- salted and crunchy pistachios add an extra element to the salad that kicks it up a notch.
Lemon-garlic dressing- simple ingredients that come together in minutes always create the best salad dressings. Make sure to use a good quality olive oil to infuse the best flavor into the dressing. The lemon and garlic pair well with the other ingredients to highlight, and not overwhelm, the overall salad.
Beautiful salad recipe
These easy and fancy little salad cups add a little extra fabulous to any occasion! The fresh flavor and texture of the salad pair perfectly with the crunch of the Parmesan cups.
Make them for your next wedding or baby shower, birthday party, and your next dinner or holiday gathering.
The dressing comes together in minutes and adds the perfect citrus garlic coating to the arugula, apples, and pistachios.
The crispy parmigiano shells act as a nest for holding the salad. It's perfect to pick up with your hands as an appetizer, or eat with a fork and knife as a side to any meal. This is a salad to add to your entertaining repertoire.
Variations and Substitutions
Substitute fresh spinach for the arugula. It won't be as peppery, but still delicious!
Vary the apples. You can use Fuji, Braeburn, Honeycrisp apple or Granny Smith. You can also chop up a few dried figs, prunes, or dates!
Use your favorite nuts in place of the pistachios: toasted walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, or pecans would all work well in this salad.
You can also use grated low-moisture mozzarella cheese to make the parmigiano cups for a different flavor!
If you don't have time to make the cheese cups you can easily skip the step and sprinkle the cheese on top of the prepared salad.
Either way, it is still delish!
We eat with our eyes first, so why not do a little extra to make an ordinary salad a little more interesting? It's worth it!
This salad goes well with Perfect Pork Tenderloin with Fennel, or Classic Italian Lasagna Bolognese with Bechamel Sauce. Serve with a side of homemade bread, or focaccia, and a Simple Italian Apple Cake (one bowl) for dessert!
This salad also makes a great side to go with homemade pizza!
Make sure to leave a ⭐️star rating on the recipe card and comment below if you make the recipe. I love to connect with you through my recipes.Print
Lemon-Garlic Salad Dressing
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small crushed clove garlic
- crushed kosher salt and black pepper
Crispy Parmigiano Cups
- 2 cups of Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Silpat mat is helpful, muffin / cupcake tin is necessary.
- 1 large Honey Crisp apple (or another variety is fine), cut Julienne style (in strips)
- 1 (5 oz) package baby arugula salad (you may also mix with Romain)
- 1 cup pistachios, salted and shelled
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves, torn with hands
Lemon-Garlic Salad Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Store the dressing for up to a week in a glass container or mason jar.
Crispy Parmigiano Cups
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place a silpatmat (or parchement paper) on a baking sheet.
- Place 6 (¼ cup) mounds of Parmesan cheese on mat and gently tap down until each mound is flat (approximately 5 inches in diameter.)
- Bake until golden and bubbly (approximately 8-10 minutes.)
- Quickly use a thin spatula to transfer each melted parmesan mound onto the cup part of an upside down muffin tin.
- Gently mold parmesan cups to fit the shape of the upside down muffin tin cup (use a spatula or glass to help if needed.)
- Let cool until firm (approximately 5-6 minutes)
- Fill cups with prepared salad
- Gently toss apples and arugula in salad dressing
- Place salad mixture in prepared parmigiano cups
- Sprinkle each cup with pistachios
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: salad, arugula, pistachio, apple, best salad