This Italian Orange Olive Oil Cake Recipe is an easy one-bowl recipe. The soft texture and honey-sweet taste will leave you craving more after your first slice. It is simply irresistible with the most tender crumb with a lovely orange flavor.
You will also love these easy and simple cakes Soft Italian Chocolate Cake (torta al ciocolato), Simple Italian Apple Cake (one bowl), Italian Crumble Cake Pastry Cream Filling. Try this Davis family favorite- Poppy Seed Cake with Orange Almond Vanilla Glaze.
Orange Olive Oil Cake Recipe (Italian)
The perfect cake for citrus season. Lovely, soft, and honey-sweet, this orange-infused olive oil cake is perfect for any occasion! In Italy, we like fresh and light desserts that are seasonal in taste. I like simplicity when it comes to cakes I make myself at home.
When I am in the mood to bake a cake, I need something I can put together quickly without too many fancy ingredients.
I like cakes that can be enjoyed at breakfast and after dinner, and I probably love good fruit-flavored olive oil or yogurt cake (this cake has both!).
This is one of my favorite cakes as there are just a handful of ingredients, and it has a lovely fresh, orange flavor.
Why this recipe works
It is sweetly flavored with orange without being too bitter, which can occur if you use too much of zest, the olive oil keeps it moist, and the eggs and yogurt keep the cake light so it doesn’t become too dense, which can be a problem in some olive oil cake recipes. You are in for a real treat with this moist cake.
- All-purpose flour
- Orange juice (use fresh oranges)
- Orange zest
- Extra virgin olive oil (you can also use a milder olive oil)
- Whole-fat plain yogurt
- Baking soda
- Confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar), to dust the cake
How to make Orange Olive Oil Cake Recipe (Italian)
This orange olive oil cake recipe is so easy to make. It is a great recipe that anyone can make. You don't have to have a lot of baking experience.
I love that this cake comes together in just ONE BOWL. I put all the wet ingredients in the bowl first give them a good whisk, add a mesh strainer (or sifter if you have one) on top of the bowl, and sift in the dry ingredients.
Then mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and bake. Super simple. The hardest part is waiting for it to cool before slicing it.
This is a perfect choice next time you have a sweet tooth craving.
If you are making this orange olive oil cake gluten-free you can use this gluten-free flour and it will turn out delicious!
What's the best olive oil to use in a cake?
I recommend using high-quality ingredients. You will really taste the flavor difference and it is worth it! You can find these olive oil brands at most grocery stores in the United States.
Contains affiliate links.
Use room ingredients
Using room temperature ingredients. They will also bake more evenly this way.
Use good quality ingredients
I recommend using good-quality olive oil for a soft and delicious orange olive oil cake. Use real lemon juice and zest instead of lemon extract.
How to serve Orange Olive Oil Cake
This cake doesn't need anything "extra". It is soft and moist as it is. If you desire a little more sweetness, dress it up with some vanilla ice cream and a dollop of whipped cream. Personally, I like it plain with a cup of tea.
Every year I get together with a small group of friends, and we make our own Christmas wreaths. It's become one of my favorite traditions that my dear childhood friend started a few years ago. I dressed up the orange olive oil cake by placing it on top of the homemade wreath.
This recipe makes one 9-inch cake. I used a fancier (6-cup) bundt pan as seen in the photos. This type of pan is not required to make this cake. Keep it simple or take it up a notch with a fun pan.
LINK TO THE BUNDT PAN I USED (it's on SALE!)
You can also use a springform pan so it is easy to take out the cake. You can use a regular 9.5/10-inch round pan as well. Make sure to let the cake cool completely after baking and before slicing.
It is worth the wait to let the cake set! This cake is even better the next day.
The orange olive oil cake will be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for one week. The best way to store it is to cover it with plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
- Traditional Panettone Recipe (Italian Christmas Cake)
- Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- Classic Italian Tiramisu Recipe (Authentic)
- BEST Italian Wedding Cookies (Anginetti)
- Best Italian Pistachio Cream
- Creme Caramel Custard Flan Recipe (Italian)
Make sure to leave a ⭐️star rating on the recipe card and comment below if you make the recipe. I love to connect with you through my recipes.Print
Makes one 9-inch cake
- 2 cups (258 grams) of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly grated zest of 2 oranges
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup (160 grams) of honey
- ½ cup (125ml / 90 grams) good quality olive oil
- Juice of 2 oranges (100ml), freshly squeezed
- ½ cup (125ml / 120 grams) whole fat plain yogurt
- Confectioners’ sugar, to dust the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat the sides and bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan cooking spray (or parchment paper), and set aside.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer), whisk (or use an electric mixer) to combine the eggs, honey, olive oil, yogurt, orange juice, and zest. Mix together until well blended.
- Sift in flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the edges are deep golden and a metal skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let it cool completely. Before serving, dust with the Confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
- The cake will keep airtight at room temp for 1 week.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30-35 min
- Category: Sweet/ Dessert
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian