Comfort food vibes with this easy, cheesy, and creamy cauliflower casserole.
This Cauliflower Casserole is baked in a white sauce (bechamel) with a parmigiano and bread crumb topping for a crunchy layer of cheesy goodness. A delicious side dish that is perfect with any meal. The perfect vegetarian comfort food baked casserole recipe. This is one of my top side dishes for the fall and winter season. I know your family and friends will love it as much as we do! Mangia! (Eat!)
- Bechamel sauce (basically a roux of flour, butter, and milk with a hint of nutmeg)
- Parmegiano cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Bread crumbs
- Fresh thyme as garnish
What is béchamel, or white sauce?
Béchamel sauce (besciamella in Italian) has French origin and has become part of Italian culinary tradition for a very long time. … It is a smooth, white sauce made made with just 3 ingredients: flour, milk, and butter. If you want to make it the true Italian way, you also add a pinch of nutmeg.
How do you know when your bechamel is done?
Know your béchamel is done: A properly thickened roux should “coat the back of the spoon,” which means dip your spoon into the béchamel and then draw a finger through the coated spoon. Does the sauce wipe clean, leaving an open space? Then your béchamel is done and ready.
This is a recipe my mamma taught me years ago. It is so simple and traditional. I know you will love it. This is the key component that sets Italian Lasagna Bolognese apart from any other version.
STORING: You can make and store bechamel for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Cauliflower is a delicious fall vegetable that complements this creamy sauce beautifully!
Next time you want to take your cauliflower to the next level dress it up with this simple bechamel sauce and top it with a layer of cheese and bread crumbs that will create the most delicious topping.
Health Benefits of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable with several healthy components.
- High in fiber and B-vitamins
- Contains Antioxidants and phytonutrients that can protect against cancer
- Great source of Fiber to enhance weight loss and digestion
- Contains Choline that is essential for learning and memory, and many other important nutrients!
This recipe is perfect for a Sunday dinner side and it is a delicious addition to your holiday menu spread. Enjoy!
From my Cucina to your Table! Mangia! (Eat!)
More Recipes For YOU
If you are looking for a tasty and creamy casserole side dish to serve during this Fall or Winter season try this recipe!Print
Comfort food vibes with this easy, cheesy, and creamy cauliflower casserole. This creamy cauliflower casserole is baked in a white sauce (bechamel) with a mozzarella, parmigiano and bread crumb topping for a crunchy layer of cheesy goodness. A delicious side dish that is perfect with any meal. The perfect vegetarian comfort food baked casserole recipe.
- 1 head cauliflower (broken into florets)
- ½ cup fresh grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup parmigiano cheese
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, stems removed, for garnish
- 6 tbsp butter unsalted
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour all purpose
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Make the Bechamel Sauce (can be made days in advance and stored in fridge): In a medium saucepan on low medium heat melt the butter. Whisk in the flour until well combined with butter. Keep whisking for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rest of ingredients: milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper and whisk everything together. Cook for another 10 minutes and keep whisking as it gets thicker. Add the parmigiano and stir to combine. You will know it is ready when it sticks to the back of the spoon. Turn off heat and set aside.*
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Cook the cauliflower. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the cauliflower for about 10 minutes or al dente. Drain well. Place 2-3 tablespoons of bechamel sauce on the bottom of a greased 9 inch baking dish. Add the drained cauliflower and cover with remaining bechamel. Then sprinkle the top with the mozzarella, bread crumbs, and parmigiano. Bake for 15 minutes, then raise the heat to 400F and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until golden. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with rosemary and serve. Mangia! (Eat!)
*Know your béchamel is done: A properly thickened roux should “coat the back of the spoon,” which means dip your spoon into the béchamel and then draw a finger through the coated spoon. Does the sauce wipe clean, leaving an open space? Then your béchamel is done and ready.
Keywords: cauliflower, cheese, casserole, bake, vegetarian, side dish, vegetables, white sauce, bechamel,