Savory Mushrooms with Butter Sage Over Creamy Polenta
This meal is under 30 minutes and will have you craving all the herby hearty goodness of mushrooms. The mushrooms simmer slightly with onions then get a bath of butter and delicious sage leaves to highlight their delicious flavor. Mushrooms are a perfect substitute for meat as they are hearty, full of protein, and attain a firm, almost meaty, texture. This is a comforting recipe that won't weigh you down with a heavy feeling. I highly recommend this delicious mushroom sauce over polenta for a delicious and achievable meal!
Made with Amore,
For this recipe I used Crimini (basically like white mushrooms, but brown in color). The smaller, white button mushroom is the youngest variety, and the larger, portobello mushrooms are older. So the cremini fall in between. The most common types found in grocery stores are:
Button or white mushroom
They each have a unique look and taste. You can certainly use any of these varieties, or use a mix, in this recipe.
You can’t go wrong with mushrooms. They’re fat-free, low-sodium, low-calorie, and cholesterol-free. They’re also packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Nutritional benefits vary depending on the type of mushroom.
Tips for Choosing and Storing Mushrooms
When choosing your mushrooms, make sure they feel firm, aren’t moist to the touch, and are mold-free. They can be stored in a paper bag inside the fridge for about five days. Brush the dirt off and rinse them lightly when you’re ready to use them.
Easy Polenta Recipe
If you've never made polenta this is your chance! Read everything you need to know to make my easy and delicious POLENTA RECIPE. The possibilities are endless with this comforting, creamy, smooth, and sensational Italian polenta recipe.
This versatile mushroom sauce would also work well by tossing it with your favorite pasta variety.
Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!)
Other Recipes for YOU:
Creamy Parmigiano Herb and Mushroom Chicken
Mediterranean Stuffed Pork Chops
Pumpkin and Parmigianno Pasta Sauce with Toasted Pine Nuts
Paccheri Pasta with Zucchini, Fresh Tomatoes, and Creme Fraiche
Polenta and Mushrooms (with sage butter sauce)
This meal is under 30 minutes and will have you craving all the herby hearty goodness of mushrooms. The mushrooms simmer slightly with onions then get a bath of butter and delicious sage leaves to highlight their delicious flavor.
- Total Time: 30 min
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Recipe for Easy Polenta
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs butter (recommended Kerrygold brand)
- ¼ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup (26 grams) onion, diced
- 8 oz (227 grams) of fresh mushrooms (crimini or other)
- 1 Tbs fresh or dried sage leaves, torn by hand in small pieces if using fresh
- Freshly grated parmigiano cheese for serving
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in medium frying pan on medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and slightly brown, about 5-6 minutes. Add the butter and the mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add the sage and the broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Make the polenta according to recipe directions.
- Serve the mushrooms over the polenta. Top with freshly grated parmigiano. Enjoy Hot!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: polenta, mushrooms, easy dinner, mushroom sauce, sage, quick meal, onions, Italian recipe
Will it be ok to use vegan butter. I’m trying to limit my cholesterol.
Yes! Absolutely, you can use vegan butter!