Bright and Fresh Arugula Walnut Pesto Recipe!
Once you taste this simple to make no-fuss arugula pesto recipe you will want to slather on top of grilled meats and veggies, bread, potatoes, focaccia, pasta, burgers... the possibilities are endless! The pop of lemon, tangy arugula, and the strong, meaty flavor of the walnuts creates an extraordinary blend of flavors. This recipe will take you 10 minutes to make and you can store it in your fridge or freezer for months. Don't delay in making this delicious sauce you will want to eat with EVERYTHING.
A Pesto without Cheese?
Yes!! This version is without the traditional parmigiano cheese, you can certainly ad dit if you wish, for this particular recipe I like it without as it leaves this pesto even more fresh and raw. Traditional pesto also has garlic. This one does not. I do not add garlic since the taste of the arugula has a hint of pungent undertone that is similar to garlic. I feel that adding more garlic will overpower this arugula pesto recipe. Try it this way!
Extra Arugula in your Garden? Make this Pesto!
If you ever plant arugula, be warned, it grows like a weed! The perfect excuse to make pesto all summer long. A great way to use it all is making this arugula pesto. It is ridiculously easy!
What's the Best way to Store Pesto?
Store pesto in jars or airtight container in the refrigerator for about a two weeks. Another way to store pesto is in the freezer (for about 6 months).
Storing Pesto in a Glass Jar. Make your pesto and fill a jar almost to the top leaving about ½ inch. Drizzle olive oil over the top to cover all the exposed pesto and seal closed to ensure freshness.
More Delicious Recipes for YOU
From my Cucina to your Table- Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!)
Made with Amore, ElenaPrint
- 2 ½ cups of packed arugula leaves, stems removed
- ½ cup of shelled walnuts
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, more for storing
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ fresh cracked pepper salt
- Add arugula to a food processor or blender. Then add lemon juice, salt and pepper, and walnuts. Secure lid and pulse for a few seconds until coarse. Scrape down the sides with a spatula. Secure lid again and pulse while drizzling the olive oil into the processor. Tate to make sure it is seasoned to your liking*. Remove the mixture from the processor and put it into a bowl, or glass jar for storing. For best results add a layer of olive oil on top to protect the pesto from turning brown. Store in fridge (up to 2 weeks) or freezer (6 months).
*Because the pesto is so dependent on the individual ingredients, and the strength of the ingredients depends on the season or variety, test it and add more of the ingredients to taste.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: N/A
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: arugula, pesto, walnuts, lemon, olive oil, sauce, side, Italian recipe